PlantFiles: False Sunflower, Rough Heliopsis, Orange Sunflower, Ox-Eye
Heliopsis helianthoides 'Prairie Sunset'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Heliopsis (hee-lee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: helianthoides (hee-lee-an-THOY-dees) (Info)
Cultivar: Prairie Sunset

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By KevinMc79

Thumbnail #5 of Heliopsis helianthoides by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Heliopsis helianthoides by DaylilySLP

By Aphthona
Thumbnail #7 of Heliopsis helianthoides by Aphthona

Negative Village_idiot On Mar 17, 2014, Village_idiot from Alberta, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

Rural Alberta, Canada, zone 3a, clay loam, pH 7.8.
One of these plants volunteered into one of my perennial beds about seven years ago. I identified it right away and waited to see how well it would grow.
At first I thought it was looking great. The bees and butterflies seemed to like it so I allowed it to stay.
Within three years it had taken over about a third of the bed through seedlings. I ruthlessly dug it all out and now I'm continuously pulling up seedlings that very quickly set down deep roots. I don't know how long the seeds are viable but I suspect I'll have to keep pulling them up for quite a few years in the future.
My suggestion is, if you're going to grow this plant make sure you deadhead to reduce seed production and pull up all seedlings immediately.

Positive muddbear On Jun 20, 2007, muddbear from (Zone 3b) wrote:

Such a beauty with its dark purple stems. Mine got very tall the second year, almost 56 inches, so I may have to move it to the back of the garden. I am so pleased with the beautiful long lasting flowers it produces. I think it is the prettiest of all the Heliopsis.

Neutral Gabrielle On May 19, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

The plant tag that came with mine says it can grow in partial sun as well.

This is a patented plant.

Positive jshireync On Jul 4, 2005, jshireync from Apex, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

We love the heliopsis! Cheery yellow flowers on purple stems. It's been blooming since mid-May here in the NC Piedmont, with no signs of quitting. It's upright and doesn't require staking - a real plus for us. I'm trying to propagate from cuttings now.

July 2010 - We were successful with the cuttings. I now have two wonderful heliopsis! Actually, I have scores. You see, we bought a second cultivar - 'Summer Sun' and planted it close by. This spring we had 100's of a hybrid of the two sprouting all over the garden.

I much prefer the Prairie Sunset - its dark stems are a delightful contrast to the dark green leaves and the yellow flowers with dark centers. The 'Summer Sun' is just green and yellow. Nice, but sorta common.

I am excited about putting the self-seeded hybrids around the edge of the garden. They're blooming now and should continue for several weeks.

Positive magpiemom On May 30, 2005, magpiemom from Ellsworth, ME wrote:

This is a gorgeous, red stemmed, dependable in z 4 perennial. It did need support but I am trimming one clump this year so it will stem out more. Hopefully that will help. It makes a striking cut flower with bright gold single daisy flowers with red highlights. It lasts ages in the garden. The more you cut it, the more blossoms it grows. I think it is reseeding in clumps but not true to the parent plant. It is in sun for all but a few hours at noon when the shade of a big pine tree passes over. I love it!!

Milford, Connecticut