Siberian Squill

Scilla siberica

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Scilla (SIL-uh) (Info)
Species: siberica (sy-BEER-ah-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Scilla sibirica

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue

Pinconning, Michigan

Romeo, Michigan

Royal Oak, Michigan

Isle, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota (5 reports)

Brunswick, Missouri

Summerville, South Carolina

Salt Lake City, Utah

Blacksburg, Virginia

Chantilly, Virginia

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Spokane, Washington

Thiensville, Wisconsin

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

Watertown, Wisconsin

On Apr 26, 2014, jackstangle from La Conner, WA wrote:

I must have planted 1. Now there are thousands. I am truly hoping that the way their bulbs multiply won't lift other plants bulbs/roots right out of the ground. Boy do I regret planting this on my 10 acres. You cannot get rid of it.

On Feb 26, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A superb spring bulb that can make early sheets of electric blue in gardens and lawns. Pleasantly fragrant, though you need to lie down to notice this. The foliage dies down quickly before mowing begins.

It will grow in difficult dry shade positions, as long as it has at least some north light in spring. It even can grow under evergreens like hemlocks. It does not require consistent moisture when dormant. In my climate (MA), it never needs watering.

The species will spread both by offsets and by seed. Where you want it to spread uncontrolled into sheets of blue, the species is the best choice.

Where you want it to mix amicably with a variety of spring ephemerals and minor bulbs, the sterile cultivar 'Spring Beauty' would be preferable. It is sai... read more

On Apr 9, 2011, derrtydave from Winthrop, MA
United States wrote:

Our backyard and surrounding neighbors' yards have scattered blossoms every early April, creating a kind of cobalt blue carpet. Their lifespan is short; by the time May ends there is no trace of them. The bulk of the clusters appear to be what remains of an old overgrown flower garden in an adjoining yard, and the wind has helped spread it around. It was interesting to learn what this plant actually is called, and that it isn't native to the area.

On Mar 23, 2011, bluminghausen from Columbus, OH wrote:

This plant is invasive in my central Ohio neighborhood and has spread throughout a ravine in the area, creating an impressive carpet of blue/purple but crowding out any sort of native diversity. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Roundup is not absorbed by the waxy leaves. It can't be pulled because the stems break off leaving the bulbs.

On Jun 4, 2009, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

Pale blue with blue stripes -- Scilla mischtschenkoana? (schtsch is just Russian shch written in German. Mishchenkoan squill. Mishchenko is apparently a tiny town in the area between the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, which joins the Black Sea at its north side.)

My grandparents must have planted Siberian squill when they bought their house 30 years or so ago. Now it's a blue mist in spring over the garden and lawn. They said to go ahead and take as many as I want, so I've planted some in clumps in my yard, and now new seedlings are coming up. Soon my yard will be blue in spring.

On Apr 28, 2009, jen08 from Appleton, WI wrote:

Love these. beautitful. Naturalize fast. Smell heavenly. This year noticed my neighbors yard filled with not only the solid blue like I have ,

but VERY PALE BLUE (ALMOST WHITE) with a MEDIUM BLUE SINGLE STRIPE DOWN THE MIDDLE OF EACH PETAL.) Those are . absolutely stunning. alone and in a mixed bed with the solid blue..WOW! Anyone else ever seen them in anything but pure blue?

On Apr 19, 2009, 465798 from Streamwood, IL wrote:

I love these flowers and have hundreds in my yard. I developed a nasty "poison ivy" type rash from handling the bulbs and seeds. Had to go to the doc for treatment. These bulbs are poisonous! Wear gloves especially if you are collecting the seeds. And try not to rub your eyes or touch your face. Let them naturalize by themselves.

On May 28, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A delicate little flower. Blooms in March in my garden.

On Apr 15, 2008, ladychroe from Bridgewater, NJ wrote:

This is a bright, true cobalt blue in my garden without a trace of purple. They seem to bloom for a really long time, pushing out many stalks of bells over several weeks.

On Apr 9, 2007, Seandor from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is an extremely hardy little plant! Venders claim it can grow to zone 1! Extremely blue flowers in March/April. I just dug up a bunch of babies that have recently emerged, so this spreads readily. Great for naturalizing in partial shade areas where other bulbs might not thrive.

On Mar 26, 2007, Wecky from Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

These are maybe the sweetest little flowers I've ever seen! Only the snowdrops bloom earlier in our zone 5a garden. We inherited them from the previous owners of our home, and I absolutely love how they've naturalized throughout our backyard. They will grow *anywhere*, including between the pavers in our patio. Last year I dug a new garden bed and dislodged literally hundreds of tiny bulbs (which is only a fraction of the thousands we have on the property). Admittedly a lot got tossed (not planted) in random places of the yard, where they are now growing and blooming simply lying on top of the ground. They last longer than you'd expect, but are gone by the time DH has to start mowing the lawn. Love 'em!

On Apr 11, 2006, Katze from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This are really cute and easy care. I've never watered or done anything to these and they come back every early spring like crazy.

On Apr 6, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is another tiny flower blooming here often as early as March, depending on weather. Not only is the flower pretty, the plant is incredibly hardy: it really can grow in Siberia. It is also one of the very best bulb plants for naturalizing in lawns and low borders. The genus Scilla (Family Liliaceae) is a group of early spring perennials from Europe, Africa, and Asia with more than 100 species. The bright blue flowers of Siberian squill (Scilla siberica) are one of the first of the spring-flowering bulbs to bloom in early spring. Despite the name, it is not from Siberia, but from other areas of Russia and Eurasia. It is a very tough plant, growing in USDA zones 2 to 8. It has been cultivated since 1796.

On Mar 25, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

My squll are in bud right now! I love the true blue flowers! If you don't dead head them they'll self sow around the garden, casting the seed as far as 12" away from the plant. I have yet to see my seedlings flower........hopfully this year. I think some of the seedlings will be four years old this spring....I heard it takes 3 years for them to flower. The bulbs a easy to find and inexpensive.

On Mar 14, 2006, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

They are one of the few true blue flowers. They seed themselves, and the first few years plants look like grasses. Be careful where you plant them, as they are locally invasive, as they can spread throughout woodland, smothering smaller native wildflowers. I'm suprised people has not heard more about those so-call "minor bulbs" as they don't require much care.

On Apr 21, 2005, MCMB from Chicago, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love Siberian Squill. It is best in a naturalized setting (allow it to run wild through your lawn or under your trees). The neighborhood I live in has many older, grand homes, and the Squill follows (and mingles with) crocuses, in a riot of blue up hills and through lawns every spring. We call them "the little blue flowers" and we are always immensely cheered up by their appearance.

On Apr 5, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Squill is an adorable little early flowering plant.

It's flowers are small but the bright color catch your eye from a distance. The flowers are the epitome of delicate beauty.

On Feb 8, 2005, nevrest from Broadview, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

Grows here in Saskatchewan.(Zone 3) It is one of the early spring arrivals to cheer us up just when it seems that the snow is never going to leave.
They seem to more often only be 3-4" here when they start to flower....perhaps it is the cold.
They also self-seed readily. But do not seem to choke out other plants.

On Apr 26, 2003, MichelleP from Golden, CO wrote:

Siberian squill is thriving in my garden, in the Colorado foothills, elevation 7600 feet, climate zone 4a. They're a lovely sight in the early spring (March-April), and don't seem to be bothered by our occasional heavy snowfalls!

On Aug 30, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Squills are closely related to bluebells. They range in size from 6" to 12". They need regular watering and prefer sun to partial shade. Some squill are hardy up to zone 3 and others only grow in zones 9-10.