Burgundy Gooseneck Loosestrife
Lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais'

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Lysimachia (ly-si-MAK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: atropurpurea (at-ro-pur-PURR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Beaujolais

Dark Purple/Black

Silver/Gray

Flowers are good for cutting

Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Fairmont, West Virginia

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

negative

On Jun 5, 2014, iowhen from Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is unforgettably gorgeous. I planted two of them very late in the season two years ago, and was disappointed that they got scorched and didn't come back the following year. Then last week I noticed a few stems of it peering out from under the hedge close to where I planted the originals. Bonus good luck: found more at the store today.

On Jun 4, 2014, Jay11 from Cambridge, MA wrote:

I also grew this from seed last year. It is just blooming now, the following June. I find the combination of the gray foliage and the burgundy flower spike delightful. For me this is a plant well worth the effort to keep it by division or starting new seedlings.

On Feb 19, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

'Beaujolais' is a beautiful plant that appears to be the same as the species. Commercial plants are seed-grown.

This species is not to be confused with either the widely invasive purple loosestrife or the thuggish gooseneck loosestrife.

Burgundy loosestrife is a plant of quiet beauty with a very long season of bloom. Bloom proceeds on the flower spikes from the bottom upwards, and the spikes continue to lengthen and produce new buds at the tip for month after month. No deadheading is necessary. If you cut the flower spike at the base, multiple secondary spikes will form. Flowers are not purple but a very dark burgundy red that's almost black. The leaves have a silver stripe down the middle, and a subtle silvery bluish tone over all.

This is a we... read more

On Jun 12, 2013, cwaeir from Norman, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Love this plant. Grew fast and beautifully. Heavy flood rain beat it up quite a but though but even with it flopped to the side some it still is vibrant

On Aug 30, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted two of these in a border in late spring/early summer. They looked good for about a month and then started to decline. Something, I assume insects, chewed up these and the lysimachia punctata planted near it, and it looked just terrible. Eventually it all withered and died. No other plants or shrubs in the vicinity were attacked like this. Everything I read about this type of plant indicates it has few pest problems, so I'm just confounded.

On Jun 11, 2010, fortsnow from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

Just planted this in my yard and excited to see how it does. It is absolutlely beautiful. It will get some sun in my yard - I am interested to see how it does in the heat. Planted it with sunset echinachea and freisland salvia, veronia too.

On Jul 12, 2009, plantations from Ashland, OR wrote:

I also started this plant from seed, in my greenhouse, and now have three robustly beautiful, blooming plants. I am wondering if anyone knows if I should cut the bloomstalks down or let them reseed, as I believe it behaves as a biennial, to ensure constancy in the garden? I have had some lysimachias that were sleeping dragons, ugh! Sharon/Plantations50

On Jun 25, 2008, blueberrybabe from Watervliet, MI wrote:

I started this plant from seed and it germinated readily in a greenhouse in February. Added it to my garden last year and am astonished at its beauty in just one year. Love it and recommend it to a lot of people.