Winter Daffodil, Fall Crocus
Sternbergia lutea

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sternbergia (stern-BERG-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: lutea (LOO-tee-uh) (Info)

Bulbs

West Grove, Pennsylvania

Manchaca, Texas

Walkerton, Virginia

On Sep 26, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Got my bulbs from Old House Gardens and it has been an easy plant. I planted them in mostly sun with shade provided by long branches from neighboring plants. OHG told me to plant then in a dryish location, which I did.

On Oct 2, 2006, Nhulberg from San Jose, CA wrote:

MIne grow in full sun and seem to be totally trouble free. I planted them four years ago, and they are increasing gradually in an area with low to moderate water and soil that is a bit rocky.

Mine start blooming in early September and continue until early October. I haven't yet tried transplanting, but am going to give it a try this season.

On Sep 28, 2006, Kathleen from Panama, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I received this plant as part of a trade five or six years ago, knowing that I was a zone colder than it normally grows. It has put up foliage every year, but never bloomed. I had decided to send it to my daughter who lives in zone 7a, a more appropriate zone, but low and behold, two little buds have become two lovely clear yellow blooms. I can truthfully say it was worth the wait.

On Sep 18, 2004, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

They are naturalised on a sunny bank that just gets a little dappled shade here in SW France and are doing very well. The flowers appear sturdier than a crocus and are a wonderfully rich yellow. They open wide in sunshine and close as the sun goes in.

On May 6, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant was a squirrel gift in my garden a few years ago; the single bulb multiplied to a large stand within 3 years.

The flowers appear in early September, and stay until mid-October. Foliage appears and grows along with the flowers, ultimately growing to about 10" high. It remains upright and growing until March, when it starts to go dormant.

Reputedly difficult to get established; resents transplanting. I haven't tried yet.

Some disreputable companies sell wild-collected and mis-labeled sternbergias, which are becoming threatened in their native habitat.

Flowers appear at the same time as fall-blooming crocus, which they resemble, but the cups are much larger, and a brilliant yellow.