Orange Coneflower
Echinacea 'Orange Meadowbrite'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Orange Meadowbrite
Additional cultivar information:(PP15090; aka Art's Pride, Orange Meadowbright)
Hybridized by Ault
Registered or introduced: 2004

Flowers are good for cutting

Orange

Conroe, Texas

Weston, West Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Feb 27, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This habit of this coneflower is like its parent the western prairie coneflower: thin leaves and petals and stems like a poppy. I have the meadowbright planted in a section of the garden that is well-drained and limed and I don't water it much. The plugs I bought took a full year before producing significant growth and flowers. The flowers are very fragrant.

After two years this plant disappeared. Pity, it was beautiful.

On Oct 5, 2011, carush from Ann Arbor, MI wrote:

I love the look of this plant! I got "Art's Pride" three years ago from High Country Gardens. I think it is a cultivar from E. paradoxa which is why it has glossier narrow leaves and a snaky flower stem -- does well among other plants around 24" high to stay upright. The plant has done beautifully, filled out nicely -- was able to divide in the second year. Sadly, Art got aster yellows phytoplasma this year along with most of the other cones in my garden, so I had to pull it and throw away. I did not bother to save seeds because the plant is sterile. HCG does not have this any more -- would appreciate sources.

On Jul 22, 2011, snowgarden from Leavenworth, WA wrote:

I really want to like this plant - I love its color and the elegant, narrow, slightly reflexed ray petals - but it's the most puny Echinacea I've ever grown - maybe the most puny plant I've ever grown! Would love to hear that someone has had success with it. Just because I'm a sucker, I'm also trying its brother, 'Mango Meadowbrite,' which seems a bit more robust...so far.

On May 31, 2008, intercessor from Fox River Valley Area, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Issues: Stems broke off in wind, plant would wilt only a day or two after watering. Didn't come back from winter :*(
Planted in spring of 2007.

On Jan 4, 2006, Illinois_Garden from Fox River Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

While this plant is weedier than the standard purple coneflower we're used to, it's a great rebloomer. Next spring will be my third summer with it, and it's just gotten better every year!

On Dec 6, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I cannot vouch for the winter hardiness so I have to rate it nuetral for now. It has nice color, a little different form leafwise.
update 5/15/06 - both Meadowbrites did not make it through the winter when it was easier on most plants.

On Nov 13, 2004, esw from Haydenville, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Marvelous deep orange to red orange flowers, slightly drooping, brown cone. Open plant, with narrow leaves. There were many blossoms the first season after receiving small plant from mail-order. Unfortunately I cannont comment on hardiness as the root was devoured by voles just as the weather cooled. I will try again with protection.