PlantFiles: Japanese Climbing Hydrangea
Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Schizophragma (ski-zo-FRAG-muh) (Info)
Species: hydrangeoides (hy-drain-jee-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Moonlight

Thumbnail #5 of Schizophragma hydrangeoides by growin

Thumbnail #6 of Schizophragma hydrangeoides by plantaholic186

Thumbnail #7 of Schizophragma hydrangeoides by plantaholic186

Positive coriaceous On May 6, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

'Moonlight' differs from the species in having a subtle, attractive silvery overlay to the leaves, which emphasizes the pattern of the venation and helps the foliage stand out from the background in a shady spot.

A great wall climber in shade.

Positive bobbieberecz On May 5, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I received this plant in a gallon size pot as a gift 2 years ago. I had placed it in all day dappled shade and it was happy right from the start. It immediately started to grow. It wasn't out where I could enjoy it's beautiful white petals so when we built an arbor the following spring, I placed it in the same dappled shade in a different spot. It had already started putting out new growth but abruptly went into a pout with the transplant. It refused to grow all season and was limp and drab looking for most of the summer. But it has revived this spring!! It is positively bushy with new growth and is already 3 inches longer on all of its branches with a multitude of flower buds---too many to count. The leaves are beautiful and fresh. My soil is sandy loam with a rich nutritious mulch. It gets the same average water that all the other garden plants get. It may get a little dry for a day or two but doesn't seem to mind. My summer weather can be in the high 90's for weeks on end and even hitting 104 for a couple of days. This winter was unusually cold for us at 4*. Nothing seems to bother this plant.

Positive Fiordiligi On Jul 6, 2012, Fiordiligi from Rutherford
United States wrote:

The plant is doing well in two different spots, getting a mix of sun and shade. I don't have flowers yet--this is its first summer--but I am impressed with the healthy, attractive growth and undemanding nature of this plant. I do water it frequently as it is near my roses and vegetables. It looks like it will do its job of covering neighbors' fences.

Positive plantaholic186 On Jun 14, 2008, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

This is a beautiful plant, and a great complement to Climbing Hydrangea, but it grows excruciatingly slowly. I had one in my last garden that grew less than 6" in the 7 years I lived there. The plant will take off eventually, but only if it's in the perfect conditions.

Update: My Schizophragma has finally bloomed, after four years of settling in. Only one this year, but worth the wait! It has stayed on the plant for a month so far, only fading slightly to green, but still looks clean and fresh.
I read somewhere that Schizophragma does not grow outward as much as climbing Hydrangea, projecting only about one foot from its support, unlike the Hydrangea's 2 foot reach. So far, mine is following that description.

Gaylesville, Alabama