Jewels of Opar, Fame Flower 'Kingswood Gold'

Talinum paniculatum

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Talinum (tal-I-num) (Info)
Species: paniculatum (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Kingswood Gold

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Vincent, Alabama

Fredericksburg, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

Staunton, Virginia

On Dec 16, 2013, SWGardener from Rio Rancho, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plan grows well in the arid high desert of New Mexico. It is an edible plant and can be used just like spinach. The leaves can be eaten by itself but I prefer to mix and steam it with other greens for a delicious side dish.

On Dec 4, 2013, nativeviv from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant can get excessive here in Lafayette, LA. But I like the graceful flowers that pop up and are wonderful in arrangements. I just pull the plants out when I don't want as many. I did have a variegated one that wasn't nearly as rambunctious, actually didn't grow very well at all, but the foliage was very nice.

On Dec 2, 2013, mrsessie from Humble, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love the way this plant pops up as ground cover in my pots with its bright green leaves and delicate flowers. It's a little wild looking, but sometimes it's the only thing blooming in our scorching weather. It reminds me that weeds are unwanted plants. This plant is never a weed in my yard!

On Dec 2, 2013, euphorMic from Lebanon, OH wrote:

I add this to nearly all of my containers. It is bright, cheerful, and always looks robust and healthy.

On Feb 13, 2008, rjuddharrison from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

At last, a name to this at first inconspicuous plant I pulled off of a flower arrangement several years ago. Every since it has graced the garden, and pops up about anywhere. It does appear in alot of the potted plants, but this doesn't bother me and always seem to find places for them. I never have to bother with them at all, and just like the Pseuderanthemum alatum chocolate plants, I need only go into the garden and look for the new ones growing to re-locate or pot up as I wish!

On Feb 12, 2008, doniesue43 from Pearland, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I agree it is a pretty little plant but so invasive! I had 1 plant in a pot on my patio and before long I had a Jewel of Opar plant in every pot on my patio. This was over 2 years ago and I still pull the little jewels out of pots on my patio on a regular basis.

On Feb 11, 2008, grassyknoll from Brisbane/Ipswich
Australia wrote:

I have grown this plant for many , many years...and have only just learnt its name. Many thanks to this site! I live in Brisbane, Australia.
I have never ever seen it for sale and have for years always wondered how it came to be in our gardens. There is no reference to it on any of the weed lists.
Yes...it is delightful. but VERY invasive. I have never seen the golden foliaged form ...and my horticultural instincts say dont grow it because of its aggresive growing nature, but the plant lover in me says "Why not" .
In Sri-Lanka, it is said to be of culinary use and the leaves are edible. like spinach..although I would'nt try them myself...not without seeing someone else do it first!
I find it loves the shady areas more than the sun . Not too hard to control...... read more

On Feb 11, 2008, DaisyKM from Dallas, TX wrote:

My friend, gave me one of these plants years ago. Here in the Dallas, Texas area, the plant seems to prefer more shade than sun. The plant is quite invasive, and grows any where the seeds carry. She looks good in the shade, but know that she'll return year after year, and will "take over." I'm now constantly fighting to erradicate this plant from my flower bed.

On Feb 11, 2008, corgimom from Pontotoc, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

Although beautiful in the sun, this plant has roots that are almost impossible to get rid of, therefore making it invasive in our area.The pretty seedpods will burst ,sending seeds great distances to start plants across the garden.

On Mar 5, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Noted to be tolerant of dry conditions.

On May 7, 2006, abardeen from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant has done wonderfully for me and is one of the few that survived over a year of neglect when I was unable to garden. It self-seeds readily and cuttings easily self-root so be careful as it can become invasive. As long as I keep it well mulched it stays under control. The chartreuse foliage is gorgeous.

On Mar 7, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Oddly enough, this plant does quite well for me in
zone 7-ish, on the west side of the house. It returns
each year with it's cute little pink flowers followed by
the stems of 'jewels'.

Re-seeds freely.

On Aug 14, 2005, mgarr from Hanover Twp., PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Even though this is a zone 9 plant it self seeds and comes back each year. I took the largest plant and potted it up allowing the thick root to be above the soil line and now have a great bonsai. I can see how it would be invasive. But the chartreuse color does add to the normal green foliage in the garden.

On Mar 15, 2005, levilyla from Baltimore, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had this for 2 years..it is beautiful..looks good all the time..reseeds heavily...grow as annual in zone 7.