PlantFiles: Variegated Jewels of Opar, Fame Flower
Talinum paniculatum 'Variegatum'

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Talinum (tal-I-num) (Info)
Species: paniculatum (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegatum

Variegated
Succulent

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By MotherNature4
Thumbnail #1 of Talinum paniculatum by MotherNature4

By artcons
Thumbnail #2 of Talinum paniculatum by artcons

By wormfood
Thumbnail #3 of Talinum paniculatum by wormfood

By wormfood
Thumbnail #4 of Talinum paniculatum by wormfood

Positive BonnieGardens On Jan 22, 2014, BonnieGardens from Clermont, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant was given to me at a plant RU. It is planted in full shade near my pond and grows with no care at all other than a little cow manure for fertilizer now and then. It is about 3 feet tall and leaves are not variegated. Very easy keeper. Seems to tolerate cold very well.

Positive bits On Aug 8, 2011, bits from Dallas, TX wrote:

The leaves on mine look nothing like those shown in the pictures posted...mine are not variegated. I've grown it from seed given to me by a 93 year old woman here in Dallas,TX...she called it 'the smallest flower in the world'. It took me years to find the name for it. The seed do plant themselves wherever they land. Great for sharing. They don't like too much shade. The scorcher temps this year seems to have reduced the blooms, but the plants are OK with a little water. The blooms on mine are pink and open mid afternoon and turn to seed by dusk. (The first research I did provided the name 'Jewels of Ophir' and I've just stuck with that.

Positive nekochanninja On Apr 17, 2010, nekochanninja from Oldsmar, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

one of my favorite plants, with stalks of small pink flowers above the leaves which ripen to round yellow seed pods. my only dissapointment is that i have found that the seeds produce regular jewels of opar instead of variegated.

Positive opgardener On Jun 2, 2008, opgardener from Middleburg, FL (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant seems to get more compliments than any other plant in my garden. I've not found it at all invasive and can easily get cuttings to root to share or expand my own collection. This year I have especially noticed the birds helping themselves to the seeds on the plant.

Positive MotherNature4 On Dec 19, 2007, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've been growing this plant for 25 years. Tried to get it Identified over the years before Daves Garden. Now I am surprised to learn that the leaves are edible.

Positive artcons On Jul 22, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

It's been in my garden about four years. I don't find it invasive, nor has is spread via seeds. Perhaps where it's planted makes a difference. Mine is planted in mostly sun/partial shade. It doesn't require much care. Tiny blooms in early summer.

Arcadia, Florida