Bengal Clock Vine, Blue Sky Vine 'Variegata'

Thunbergia grandiflora

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Thunbergia (thun-BER-jee-uh) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Orange Park, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Seville, Florida

Cordele, Georgia

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Wilton, New Hampshire

Sumter, South Carolina

Belton, Texas

Humble, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Seabrook, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Sep 20, 2015, Trilliumfae from Wilton, NH wrote:

This is a great annual here in New Hampshire, but it's also a squirrel buffet. They LOVE the blooms! Doesn't matter what what variety thunbergia. They pop them like potato chips.

On Mar 23, 2014, jtockosz from Belleview, FL wrote:

I started my Bengal Clock Vine from a clipping a friend gave me. I cut it into 3 pieces and all 3 pieces rooted very quickly. The larger piece grew to 3 ft. tall in a few months in a small pot and now I just planted all 3 next to my arbor. The large piece has multiple blooms ready to open. Yesterday, a beautiful large flower opened and another beside it was ready in a day or two. I went out this evening and caught a squirrel eating my flower and the blooms ready to open! Any suggestions on how to stop these critters from eating the blooms? I was so disappointed.

On Dec 9, 2012, ChloeErnie from El Lago, TX wrote:

My purple flowering vine seems to be a Bengal Clock vine, aka Blue Sky vine. - thunbergia grandiflors, however mine has a plain green leaf, not a variegated leaf. The leaves are around 5" long, pointed at the bottom and heart shaped at the top, same shape as in the photos. It 20' tall. Is this a Bengal Clock vine with plain leaves? It is growing in Seabrook, TX.

On Aug 7, 2005, jnc from Sumter, SC wrote:

I bought my Sky Vine at Lowes here in Sumter, S.C. It grew to at least 20 feet the first year , covering a built on trellis across the front porch . It was beautiful ! Cars would stop to look at it . I've not seen another one here . I went back to Lowes to see if they could order another one but they couldn't seem to get any more in . I'm still trying to root some pieces for family members but so far , I've only had one piece to root . Mine died back in the Winter but came back in the Spring . It gets the afternoon sun and only shade in the morning . I think it's a great vine , very showy and easy to grow , as long as you maintain the new shoots that appear every day !

On Jun 16, 2005, Turtle_35206 from Cordele, GA wrote:

I don't grow this, yet...but have watched it on a trellis here for the past five years. It seems to be quite hardy in zone 8A. It is growing in full sun with no shade and seems to bloom from mid June until hard frost.

On Mar 9, 2005, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

We purchased this plant about 2 weeks ago. It had several pale blue flowers at the time. It has started growing and the newest blooms are decidedly darker blue that the ones that opened last week. I wonder if they fade to light blue or if the trend will continue.