PlantFiles: Creeping Veronica, Speedwell
Veronica umbrosa 'Georgia Blue'

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Veronica (veh-RON-ih-ka) (Info)
Species: umbrosa (um-BRO-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Georgia Blue
Additional cultivar information: (aka Cambridge Blue)

Synonym:Veronica peduncularis (misapplied)

Thumbnail #6 of Veronica umbrosa by kennedyh

By Marilynbeth
Thumbnail #7 of Veronica umbrosa by Marilynbeth

Positive Suefrog On Mar 11, 2014, Suefrog from Buda, TX wrote:

Love, Love, Love this plant. Living in Buda, Tx and not having a sprinkler system is ultimately what changed how I garden. This plant is a champion! I rarely water it - it's planted on the north side of the house in full shade. It handled the freezing weather beautifully as well as the hot summers. I don't do anything to it. I'm thinking of separating it and trying it in the sun. It mounds and stays green all year long. What more could you ask for in Texas!

Positive drcme On Apr 8, 2013, drcme from Volente, TX wrote:

Awesome plant here in Leander, TX (north of Austin). I had them at my old house, and wanted to take some with me when we moved, so I cut the old plants in half, straight through the roots, and put them directly in the garden here. They are growing like gangbusters! They look great trailing over our walkway. Highly recommend.

Positive mehitabel45 On Aug 11, 2011, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant! I bought 4 very straggly pots at the end of the season last year, stuck it in the ground just before an 18 degree freeze in November, and it came through fine and spreading. Each plant is about 6 inches in diameter now, and I've begun dividing it and planting on my slope to replace the weedy grass (or grassy weed) lawn in front of my home. 10 divisions bopping along, and I'll split them more and more if they come through the August sun and drought. My hopes are for a mow-free bank. I think this might be the perfect solution.

Positive northgrass On May 21, 2011, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I use this plant as a ground cover, will spread nicely but is not invasive. Wonderful foliage always with tinge of red.
In Spring, it is covered with small blue flowers. The flowers open only when the sun shine, which can be a downer here with our plentiful share of rainy days. Extra nice filler.

Neutral kacton On Oct 25, 2010, kacton from Hasbrouck Heights, NJ wrote:

I planted two of these along with a pink creeping phlox this spring. They have doubled in size, but not taken over anything. They are planted in a raised bed under my rose bushes. My plan is to continue allowing them to grow and choke out weeds and morning glories in my rose garden. They had one or two blooms this summer when the weather was cooler. I'm looking forward to their display of blue (next to the pink creeping phlox) this spring.

Positive JasperDale On Aug 23, 2009, JasperDale from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Even though this is listed to Zone 8a, I've had this growing in Zone 10a very successfully. Not at all invasive here and even blooms intermitantly throughout our hot summers. Great as a replacement for Lobelia, too.

Positive bluffles On Jul 19, 2009, bluffles from Austin, TX wrote:

Absolutely LOVE this plant. It is striking when in bloom and cascading from a pot or over rocks. Just beautiful.

Positive hoobs On May 26, 2009, hoobs from London
United Kingdom wrote:

Worth checking that the species that invades lawns isn't Veronica filiformis. This is a colourful, but invasive species of UK lawns.

Negative cherbill On May 16, 2009, cherbill from Putney, VT wrote:

This little baby has taken over my lawn here in Vermont! It is creeping into all my flower beds. Help. How do i get rid of it?

Positive Sheila_FW On May 13, 2009, Sheila_FW from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a super ground cover that blooms early spring and later if it is in the sun. It works well in our Texas heat in full sun or part shade. The moisture issue does not effect it either. I have had it near a water feature where it gets overflow, and I have it next to a foundation in full sun. It grows a bit on the slow side, but once established it will fill out and spill over the edge of a bed. I give it four stars****!

Positive shelbsyd On Mar 23, 2009, shelbsyd from Oakley, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant. I planted mine about a month ago and it is still blooming and really starting to fill out. I have my planted in my waterwise garden in front of my Guara and infront of retaining wall in front of my sidewalk. It adds color when my other plants are still dormat. It is danity and filled with color.

Positive Lala_Jane On Dec 10, 2008, Lala_Jane from North West, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a pretty plant with a very vivid blue color. Although it's considered a creeper or a ground cover I find that it has a more upright habit in my zone and barely creeps at all.

Positive slrob On Jul 18, 2008, slrob from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Such a wonderful ground cover for DFW area, looks like a blue carpet in springtime due to all the little flowers the honeybees just love. Green leaves turn more burgundy in dead of winter but it comes right back early. Usually my first flowers of spring.

Positive MegCo On Apr 26, 2008, MegCo from Elizabethtown, PA wrote:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this plant! It is a fabulous groundcover, the flowers are extremely vibrant. It usually blooms twice for me-spring and again in late summer.
I'm growing it in full sun but I'm going to try and transplant some in a shady area and see how that goes. For a vine that looks so delicate it is extremely hardy!

Positive Susannah_C On Jun 4, 2007, Susannah_C from DFW area, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

A great plant and very pretty in borders or as an accent. Not terrific in dappled shade in central Texas -- much heavier blooming w/sun 5 hours or more.

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 18, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Beautiful flowers and beautiful color! I love to see it every Spring!

Positive pbtxlady On May 21, 2006, pbtxlady from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The first year we had these, we were thrilled to see what a beautiful blue carpet they made.

Anyone know how well it grows as a groundcover in dappled shade?

Positive CS28557 On Feb 11, 2006, CS28557 from Morehead City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a wonderful groundcover in my zone 8a gardens. It divides easily and is quick to root in a new bed. I highly recommend it, especially since it is evergreen.

Positive Terre_ On May 15, 2005, Terre_ from Golden, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Lovely ground cover, like a blue carpet in early spring, one of the first to bloom. Spreads nicely, but not invasive, and keeps its leaves in winter and they turn a pretty bronze color. A surprise favorite.

Positive RDT On Dec 12, 2004, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Great groundcover. It stays a bronzy color in zone 6 winters. When in bloom many people will comment on it.
Only trouble I have had with it is in trading it through the mail. Make sure you include a little soil as the roots are shallow which causes the roots to dry out.

Positive sadie_mae On Dec 11, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Pretty blue flowers. Will spread by rooting along the stems, but not excessively so. Very easy to transplant by cutting a rooted stem from the mother plant.

Alabaster, Alabama
Burlington, North Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
Morehead City, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)
Wren, Ohio
Knoxville, Tennessee
Buda, Texas
Colleyville, Texas
Coppell, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (4 reports)
Garland, Texas