Doublefile Viburnum, Japanese Snowball Bush
Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake'

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: plicatum var. tomentosum
Cultivar: Summer Snowflake
Additional cultivar information:(aka Fujisanensis)
Synonym:Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum

Lexington, Virginia

Oakton, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

On May 12, 2015, Sequoiadendron4 from Lititz, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted ours in the wrong spot, like another poster has mentioned. It was in the front of a bed, which it quickly outgrew and was moved to another location after one season. In that one season though, it had doubled its size and put on a good root system, which made transplanting less pleasurable. Once in its new spot, it needed mega water due to transplant stress. It was moved 2 years ago now and is doing great. It grew a little last year but I suspect this year it will be back to its routine of growing fast. The flowers are Japanese Beetle candy in our yard. This results in no flowers after mid-late June. A beautiful show is seen before that though with tons of flowers. This year I have treated it with a systemic insecticide to curb the JB feast. I have justified this because... read more

On May 11, 2010, SusieSunflower from Wichita, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

We bought this bush in mid-summer 2009 to fill a blank wall on the north side of a 2-story garage where it gets early morning and late afternoon sun. The plant was in a very large pot and root bound but continued blooming as if it had not been disturbed. This year, it is amazing and I am thrilled with it. The leaves completely fill the branches and the flowers, although quite weird in shape, are beautiful and showy. I look forward to the years that follow as it grows and fills the space for which it was purchased.

It was featured in 2004 as "an Arkansas Select winner" by the University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture.

On Aug 27, 2006, laura10801 from Fairfield County, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I've had this plant for about 3 years. First 2 years produced moderate blooming at best, however this year it seems to be doing much better. It has been a hot summer, but I have been watering heavily, maybe that's what made the difference.

On Jun 30, 2006, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

Four Summer Snowflakes followed me home from Home Depot a few years ago, and as usual, I had no plan for where to plant them. But, in the ground they went. Exactly the wrong place, of course - too close together, too dry. They bloomed all summer each year, but sparsely.

So, this year these 5.5 footers were transplanted. I must keep them watered to see whether they will bloom like the pix posted here - too pretty for words.

On Mar 3, 2006, Decumbent from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Grows well in full-sun in Zone 6. Will flower ALL summer if watering is maintained and temperatures stay reasonably cool.

On Oct 5, 2005, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I just purchased this at Meijer for half price, and after seeing these at Secrest Arboretum, I was thrilled to get it. I've got it in a partly sunny location, but it doesn't get the hot afternoon sun. I know it's a rather slow grower, but I hope it does well, because these are BEAUTIFUL when in bloom!