Prague Viburnum
Viburnum x pragense

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: x pragense

Lexington, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

negative

On Jun 5, 2014, Jay11 from Cambridge, MA wrote:

This plant is evergreen for me. I chose it as a screen and it has done a great job, grown to about 10 feet tall. It is easy to trim to be a narrower plant which is ideal for my location. The leaves droop when the ground freezes but they perk back up when it thaws. Spring flowers are lovely. I have white rose (Climbing iceberg) growing through it making a nice paring for my site. Ideally it would also provide food for the birds, However, I get little fruiting and most of it falls off. I would be interested to know if birds eat fruit and a suggested cross pollinator. I have Conoy viburnum at present and whatever the wind or bugs bring.

On Jan 6, 2013, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have to deal with this Plant at work all the time. The leafs make me inch real bad. Plus, these plants are not even Evergreens anyways.

On Jan 24, 2011, Mertsie from (Zone 6b) wrote:

Here in a mountainous zone 6B, my prague does well! It is now 3 years old and has not flowered, however it does not lose its leaves, no matter the weather. It is growing fast! The nursery I got it from told me they propagate all their own and that it is exceedingly easy to do with them.

On Nov 6, 2010, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

Beautiful foliage. Easily propagated from cuttings.

On Apr 25, 2007, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant has survived in my yard for 3 years now without any dieback from cold winter winds. I have it planted in a completely exposed site. It does defoliate when it gets really cold but still does great come growing season. It has the best foliage I have seen on a viburnum, along with winterthur, for a zone 5. I would like to see this cultivar used more often, especially with the viburnum leaf beetle due to cause havoc for our arrowoods. Here it has grown about 1.5'-2' a year.

On Jan 26, 2005, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This hybrid was developed by crossing V. rhytidophyllum and V. utile. The resulting plant is evergreen to semi-evergreen with glossy, veined leaves that are white pubescent on the undersurface. The flowers are cream to white and lightly fragrant. Fruit change from red to black.