Prague Viburnum

Viburnum x pragense

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: x pragense

Maryville, Tennessee

Lexington, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

On Nov 2, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This hybrid is fully evergreen here in Boston Z6a, though in frigid subfreezing weather the petioles temporarily become lax and the leaves droop dispiritingly. If unpruned, the habit is somewhat open, but it still makes a good evergreen screen. It can reach over 12' in height.

I find the flower display underwhelming.

Cornell has rated viburnums for resistance to the devastating Viburnum leaf beetle and found this hybrid to be moderately susceptible---it is usually not killed.

On Nov 1, 2015, carpedmliz6 from Camp Hill, PA wrote:

I bought this plant about a month ago for a reduced rate (all shrubs were reduced, my local nursery, in early October, zone 7A.) At the time it had a few yellow leaves, but now 1/2 the plant is yellow. During the same plant "binge" I purchased a Winterthur and a Brandywine Viburnum. All are planted under taller pine trees (within six feet of each other) and get morning and some afternoon sun. While the last two viburnums appear robust and ready to take on the winter in Central PA, the Prague looks sickly and ready to croak. Any advice?

On Jun 5, 2014, Jay11 from Cambridge, MA wrote:

This plant is evergreen for me. I chose it as a screen and it has done a great job, grown to about 10 feet tall. It is easy to trim to be a narrower plant which is ideal for my location. The leaves droop when the ground freezes but they perk back up when it thaws. Spring flowers are lovely. I have white rose (Climbing iceberg) growing through it making a nice paring for my site. Ideally it would also provide food for the birds, However, I get little fruiting and most of it falls off. I would be interested to know if birds eat fruit and a suggested cross pollinator. I have Conoy viburnum at present and whatever the wind or bugs bring.

On Jan 6, 2013, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have to deal with this Plant at work all the time. The leafs make me inch real bad. Plus, these plants are not even Evergreens anyways.

On Jan 24, 2011, Mertsie from (Zone 6b) wrote:

Here in a mountainous zone 6B, my prague does well! It is now 3 years old and has not flowered, however it does not lose its leaves, no matter the weather. It is growing fast! The nursery I got it from told me they propagate all their own and that it is exceedingly easy to do with them.

On Nov 6, 2010, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

Beautiful foliage. Easily propagated from cuttings.

On Apr 25, 2007, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant has survived in my yard for 3 years now without any dieback from cold winter winds. I have it planted in a completely exposed site. It does defoliate when it gets really cold but still does great come growing season. It has the best foliage I have seen on a viburnum, along with winterthur, for a zone 5. I would like to see this cultivar used more often, especially with the viburnum leaf beetle due to cause havoc for our arrowoods. Here it has grown about 1.5'-2' a year.

On Jan 26, 2005, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This hybrid was developed by crossing V. rhytidophyllum and V. utile. The resulting plant is evergreen to semi-evergreen with glossy, veined leaves that are white pubescent on the undersurface. The flowers are cream to white and lightly fragrant. Fruit change from red to black.