PlantFiles: Woodland Tobacco
Nicotiana sylvestris 'Only the Lonely'

Genus: Nicotiana (nih-ko-she-AH-na) (Info)
Species: sylvestris (sil-VESS-triss) (Info)
Cultivar: Only the Lonely

Thumbnail #6 of Nicotiana sylvestris by sallyg

By AnniesAnnuals
Thumbnail #7 of Nicotiana sylvestris by AnniesAnnuals

Positive gardenhippie On Apr 12, 2009, gardenhippie from Stroudsburg, PA wrote:

I planted this large plant in a big pot on my almost full sun deck. I then slightly moved it to have a bit of dappled shade and it did well. At first I was unhappy as the flowers got covered with bugs all over but then something came and ate all the small bugs over night and left the flowers unharmed and the plant just got beautiful with big leaves and tall stalks of night time sweet smelling flowers, all visitors to my deck were taken back by this unusual plant to put into a pot, I loved it !!! I plant it every year now without fail and get requests from friends to come and see again and again. Easy to collect the seeds. I grow this from seed that I start inside around mid march.

Positive sallyg On Jul 16, 2007, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

My first year with this. A tough plant that was easy to grow from seed indoors. They are blooming now at different sizes, in various sites around my yard, but the one with the best location has leaves up to 23 inches!! The leaves smell funky, but at night the flowers did have a sweet smell, a bit different from the moonflower scent.

Positive donaldcorken On Nov 19, 2006, donaldcorken from South Strafford, VT wrote:

I can't say enough good things about this plant. One of those annuals that have the dramatic presence to hold their own in a mixed perennial border. Indispensable. Takes a while to get going when first planted, but then it takes off practically overnight. Requires plenty of moisture and good rich soil.

Positive ladygardener1 On Aug 9, 2006, ladygardener1 from Near Lake Erie, NW, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

The first time I grew this plant from seed. I did not realize how big it would get. The leaves are 11 to 12 inches long, so don't plant anything small to close.
Even though it is an annual in my zone, I still get some plants growing in spring on the south side foundation of the house where it is protected in winter.

The flowers are very fragrant. Great for a Moon Garden.

Richmond, California