Woodland Tobacco

Nicotiana sylvestris

Genus: Nicotiana (nih-ko-she-AH-na) (Info)
Species: sylvestris (sil-VESS-triss) (Info)

Not Applicable

Kintnersville, Pennsylvania

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

Ogden, Utah

On Mar 13, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This easy annual self-sows reliably and not too aggressively here (Boston Z6a). It's also easy to pull out if it begins growing where it isn't wanted. It tolerates more shade than most annuals.

The large basal leaves give it a coarse texture that makes it stand out in the border. They're also a lighter, brighter green than most vegetation, but not chartreuse. The leaves and stems are hairy/sticky.

The white flowers seem to glow at twilight. They are only slightly fragrant during the day. They reserve their sweet, strong fragrance for the evening and night, as it was evolved to attract the night-flying moths that pollinate them.

I find that cutting off flower clusters before they go to seed encourages the plant to develop more flower clusters. St... read more

On Mar 12, 2015, LMD1028 from Westminster, CA wrote:

Anyone know how to get rid of this plant? It's taken over part of my yard. No clue how it got back there, we never planted it. It would be a great plant if it were in the flower beds, but it's growing in the middle of my grass and yard. I sat one day digging out the roots, it took hours. Doesn't help. I poured hot soapy water on them, they don't care.I even tried plant poison/killer spray, doesn't work. Anyone know any other way?

On Mar 22, 2014, JoySwede from Baudette, MN wrote:

I have been growing this plant from seed for over 13 years. I start it from seed every year and it does beautifully in my flowerbeds on the Minnesota/Canadian border. It loves heat, sun and fertility, and has grown to 6' tall in some locations, it will still take a little shade too though. I love it for it's white flowers that glow in the evening, with the darkening woods in the background. Our "hummingbird moths" love to sip from it as well in the evening. It has unusual large and bright green leaves that make it look tropical for Minnesota. Easy and has a strong scent.
I deadhead them to keep them attractive and the flowers keep coming until frost.

On Jan 6, 2014, DavidLMo from St Joseph, MO wrote:

This is NOT smoking tobacco. If you smoke this you will likely die.
There are many tobaccos that can be smoked without killing you.

The primary tobacco used for smoking is Nicotiana tabacum.

Sylvestris and a few others (i.e. alata ) are grown for their scent.

Rustica is another that smells great and can be smoked if you have the guts as it will knock you on your fanny and mess up yer head :-) Used by Shamans in rituals.

I rate this one Positive because of the great smell.

On Aug 21, 2012, canadiangreen from Lethbridge

I successfully started this plant from seed, transplanting it to a large barrel where it is growing 5 ft with many blooms. I did not expect to be able to grow this well in Southern Alberta.

Does anyone know if I should dead head this plant when the blooms are finished? Thanks.

On Jul 17, 2012, Happytogrow from Montreal

Love it! I live in southern Quebec and house faces South, so front has full sun exposure. We just had 4 weeks without rain and my lawn is pale yellow and crackling, but my Nicotiana is doing superbly! I have not been watering regularly and it is almost 4' tall, flowering nicely and leave are bright green. Just pruned back some stems to help keep everything straight. Planted them in front of basement windows at 16" apart. Provides some shade from leaves but does not darken too much since top is airy. I open the basement windows during the night and the perfume just drifts in! Wonderful!

On Apr 2, 2012, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew this tobacco last year. When cold weather hit, it formed a basal rosette that persited through the mild winter and is now growing. I haven't read anything about this plant being a perrennial but I am happy it survived.
UPDATE: Last winter was much colder than the one before. My Tobacco plant did not form a rosette as id did the year before and I assume it would not return. However, I left a bit of the stem to mark its location. Now thee shoots are emerging around the stem. Is this a perennial?

On May 25, 2010, Fimiano from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

i have grown this in my minneapolis-zone 4-garden for the last 10 summers.two years ago, I took my garden down in the fall, but neglected to remove two stumps of n.sylvestris.Well, to my utter amazement, both of the stumps started sprouting the next spring! And they were the hugest sylvestris I've ever grown:7 ft! OK, some of u may be skeptics, but I left those same two stumps ther again last fall, and yes, they are sprouting again from the base of last summer's stumps! These are not new seedlings from seeds dropped by the flowers, but vigorous new leafs sprouting from the dead-appearing stumps. I am sure they will be giants again..I will take photos & post them.

On Oct 22, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

These annuals are NOT for the faint of heart, nor for the gardener who gets intimidated at TALL plants. They are massive growers with stems reaching 4-6 feet, and leaves which can measure up to 20" in length & 8-10" wide! I grew a few from seeds this spring in peat pots, and transplanted to their garden locations at 3-4" in height. Growth is rapid and can take over a 3-4 square foot area easily: So do plan accordingly and give them room.

My only experience with this plant was this year (2006), and I noted (like James above) that gnats and other insects get trapped by the sticky residue on the leaves and flowers. This is unsightly when plants are covered with gnats. I must add they are very easily grown after seeds have germinated, and the tiny plants have developed two sets ... read more

On Jul 19, 2006, Anitabryk2 from Long Island, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Plant wintersowed nicely. It seems to be very happy in a spot that gets morning and afternoon sun and midday shade.

On Sep 6, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

I wish to add some little bits about this nifty (and stinky-leafed) plant.

What I would call a "Winter Annual," that is, surviving zones 7 or 6 winters if it did not bloom the first season. I'm starting the seeds in situ in fall in warmer areas of my garden. (Heavy leaf mulch is always good.) They will return in spring to bloom early throughout the summer and even some after the first frost!

The leaves are sticky and often attract insects like fly paper, killing gnats by the hundred, someimtes coatin ghe leaves with dead insects until a rain. I do not know what kind of gnats (beneficial/pest) but it is quite pleasing to see!

Also extremely tolerant of full hot sun and dry air. -A good desert plant; many "full sun" things will fry at high ... read more

On Sep 6, 2005, nelledoor from Lavina, MT (Zone 4a) wrote:

A tiny start given to me by my favorite gardener, I really had no idea about this plant - will be a staple in my garden - and in pots on my deck as the jasmine fragrance in the evening is exotic!! It's very easy to just tip with your finger the dried seed pod into a paper envelope to collect seed. Very neat....as seeds are very tiny. I'm Zone 3-4 in this part of central Montana.

On Aug 30, 2005, maineroses from Milo, ME (Zone 4a) wrote:

grew great in Maine i want to see if it winters well

is this the smoking tobacco?does anyone know.....

On Aug 7, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

It actually grows and looks good in my SW bed! (Most plants fail to thrive in that exposure.) AND being right against the brick wall, it has enough protection for the roots to make it through the winter here in zone 6! So the plants are going to need dividing soon! Those drooping flowers are so interesting looking and the foliage a refreshing lime green.

On Aug 8, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

An old fashioned favorite grown for its fragrance and unique panicles of drooping white flowers. Plants grow up to 6 feet tall and prefer full sun.