Cutleaf Japanese Maple, Threadleaf Japanese Maple 'Inaba Shidare'

Acer palmatum

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acer (AY-ser) (Info)
Species: palmatum (pahl-MAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Inaba Shidare
Additional cultivar information:(Dissectum group; aka Red Select)
Synonym:Acer palmatum var. dissectum
» View all varieties of Japanese Maples

Dissectum (very deeply divided and dissected)

Provides winter interest

North Augusta, South Carolina

Yorktown, Virginia

Bainbridge Island, Washington

On Apr 14, 2013, Bunkiebe from Asheville, NC wrote:

I love my JM tree. It has grown so much in just three years. I purchased a very small tree only because I did not have the budget for the $200.00 I really want. But it grows so well, and I just have not had the heart to really prune it. I have pruned earlier in the spring last year but very minimal amount. I really think it needs some shaping.
Question: when is the best time to prune, and what suggestions are out there about shaping and how much to prune. Besides my beautiful fringe tree, it is my favorite tree ever. When the fringe is in bloom, I have a hard time deciding. The JM is favored the rest of the time, and I want to be totally sure I know what I am doing.

On Nov 2, 2010, rkwright85 from Horton, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've been really impressed with the way this holds its color in the shade. The foliage looks good all season and I've been surprised with how fast it has grown for a Japanese maple. It's definitely one of my favorite weeping varieties and I've been able to find it cheaper then a lot of the other good ones.

On Sep 2, 2010, retired2165 from Nappanee, IN wrote:

I've been reading your articles on the Japanese Maples and found a lot of good, useable info. Thanks! I just got my first one this summer- a Inaba Shidare. The trunk is just over 1/2" and quite tall. I have it in a container on our patio. It's in the south east corner of an L-shape area of the house for protection. The tree is protected from the south and the west which helps with the sun. (I live in northern Indiana.)

The tips of the leaves are turning brown- what causes this? Is it still maybe getting too much sun?

Another question: Since they are more vulnerable when young, should I put it in the garage for the winter? If I do this, what about light, water, etc.?

I love this tree and can't wait till it gets large enough to cas... read more

On Dec 25, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a very popular Dissectum Group Japanese maple. The leaves are among the largest of any Dissectum. They emerge rich purple-red and hold the excellent colour all season, finally turning brilliant red in autumn. The leaves are coarser than most Dissectums and the stems more sturdy. It is also known as 'Select Red', 'Red Select' and 'Holland Select'.