Grandiflora Rose
Rosa 'About Face'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: About Face
Additional cultivar information:(PP17305; aka About Face, WEKosupalz)
Hybridized by Carruth
Registered or introduced: 2005

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Orange and orange blend (ob)

Bloom Shape:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Kirkland, Washington

Spokane, Washington

negative

On Apr 28, 2013, sgkent from Citrus Heights, CA wrote:

we had 3. Very thorny, got sun from about 11am to 5pm, grew tall but easily will fall over. Suggest would be best in a yard where gets sun from dawn to dusk. Gets black spot too. Bloom came in batches and not like our other grandiflora roses. We have some that get less sun and do much better then these did. We pulled them out after about 5 years of dealing with the same issues.

On Jan 31, 2013, 80s_child from Hayward, CA wrote:

Beautiful Grandiflora Rose..One of my FAVS, I have it for few years, takes a lot heat & sunshine much U can give,..Since I planted in spot like that, grew very well, Not any diseases issue or spraying, just fertilize one a month and crank up flowers like fire works, beautiful multiple colors, Gorgeous colors in garden & must have for multiple color lovers!

On Jan 6, 2012, KarlinSF from San Francisco, CA wrote:

This is a beautiful little rose and a very prolific producer. I have had this plant for 6-7 years (always in large pots). For the first 4-5 years we were in the wine country where it had lots of sun and warmth 8 months of the year. We now live in a cooler climate with a lot of fog and wind which seems to have made it far more prone to black spot and some pretty sad looking foliage although it still flowers beautifully.

On Jun 27, 2010, litisk from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful! Kind of like a two-tone bloom of peach with the outside of the bloom being darker and the inside of the bloom being a lot lighter. I don't find a very powerful scent but the blooms are petite and gorgeous.

On Mar 5, 2010, Caedi25 from Kirkland, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

"About Face" was an impulse buy for us and has proven to be tough, stunning and the most disease free feature in our hybrid tea-and-grandiflora rose arc. It towers well over my head if we allow it to and those blooms are otherworldly - saffron faces with a delicious peachy orange reverse.

On Apr 28, 2009, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Another alias for this beauty is "Pride of Cheshire"

On Nov 25, 2008, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This rose is definitely hardy to at least zone 5b. I've had it for three years now and it's done fine. I think the hardiness zones listed above are incomplete.

On Apr 16, 2008, sthwnd from Green Cove Springs, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This was the first rose I planted when we moved into our new house. It was about a foot tall when planted. 2 years later, it is as tall as I am, which is 5 ft 2. This rose does have beautiful repeat bloom flowers, & is hardy over the winter as well. However, it does have it's drawbacks. It is prone to black spot, & it also probably the WORST for thorns that I have ever grown. I would also have hoped it would have more of a fragrance, but what it DOES have is light & sweet.

On Feb 9, 2007, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

2005 AARS (All-American Rose Selection) winner.

On Jan 14, 2007, whitehen from Salem, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planted in spring 2006 and had blooms all summer long. I had no problems with any disease or insects.Great rose!

On Jun 25, 2006, KarenB61 from Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This rose tends to get blackspot quite easily here on Long Island. It's a good bloomer though, and a vigorous grower. Color of blooms fades a bit in the sun, but not excessively. While I like this one, it's not one of my favorites.

On Oct 4, 2005, ConfusedCactus from Topeka, IL wrote:

This plant is TOUGH. I planted it in a spot that had killed 2 roses already, thinking it was me doing something wrong instead of something in the soil killing them. About Face was on it's last leg when I transplanted it to another spot in my yard. It had no leaves at all, just several small bare canes. Within a month of it being in it's new "home" it was completely covered with new leaves and 2 months later is getting ready for it's first flush. Amazing plant.

On Jul 9, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a pretty little rose, the blooms are ruffled and different colors on the face and the reverse. It blooms a lot and the blooms last on the bush for 4-5 days.