Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Midnight Blue'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Midnight Blue
Additional cultivar information:(PP16623; aka WEKfabpur, Midnight Blue)
Hybridized by Carruth
Registered or introduced: 2004

Class:

Shrub

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Double

Cupped

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Habit:

Bush

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Other Details:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Montpelier, Vermont

Vancouver, Washington

negative

On Jun 14, 2015, sredna from Cicero, IL wrote:

I have had this shrub in my Chicago garden for 10 years. The color and flower form are outstanding. But this shrub is the first in my garden to get blackspot (it's June 14th and the first affected leaves showed up last week--even my hybrid teas and English roses have no blackspot as of yet) and always ends the season almost completely defoliated. I started out with 2 shrubs, and one eventually died. Needless to say the one remaining is very much weakened by the yearly defoliation. What was once a 3 by 3 foot shrub is now less than 2 by 2 feet. Nevertheless, the shrub is a consistent bloomer, even at the end of the season with next to no leaves, and no one who sees this rose blooming for the first time fails to be impressed by the flowers.

On Mar 14, 2013, ms1954 from katonah, ny
United States wrote:

This is a rose I bought by mail, from Heirloom Roses. As is usual with their roses, it arrived tiny but healthy. I transplanted it into a pot with about an 8 inch diameter, and put it on my southern exposure deck in Westchester County, NY (Zone 5b/6a). It grew only two or three leaves and then died.

On Oct 2, 2012, Jez_Roth from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8b) wrote:

A wonderful color, isn't it?

Of course, that's the main reason I plant roses, the fragrance being a close second - but the color was so unique and deep that when I saw it on sale, I had to scoop it up.

So far, four months after planting, Midnight Blue is doing very well. Repeat blooming, rich scent, and while it does fade a bit into a lighter, reddish violet in the intense sunny days of Vegas, in ninety-degree-ish heat, it managed to look as intense as the photos shown.

I've received a variety of compliments on it and when I've given cuts of it as gifts, the recipient is often floored by the color.

On Aug 8, 2008, WMorgan from Medford, NJ wrote:

Been growing for a month and is very purple, even in 90 degree heat. Repeat bloomer. Can't wait to see it next year.

On Apr 6, 2006, Jamie_Anderson from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

This rose looks quite similar to the "Burgundy Iceberg" rose.

On Jan 31, 2006, morningstar83 from Montpelier, VT wrote:

I first saw this rose fall 2005 in the Montreal Botanical Garden in Quebec. Beautiful! I took lots of pictures of plant and of the identification signs so I would not forget what it was. Since it seemed quite happy there, I've decided I'm going to order one and try it in Zone 4a Vermont!

On May 7, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great little rose, it's got the fragrance of cloves and is the most amazing color of grapejuice purple! It's a relatively clean plant and is pretty hardy too.