PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Neptune'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Neptune
Additional cultivar information: (PP16614, aka Neptune, WEKhilpurnil)
Hybridized by Carruth; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2003

Class:
Hybrid Tea

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:
Double
Tea shaped

Flower Fragrance:
Very Fragrant

Habit:
Bush
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Other Details:
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By crisymei
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by crisymei

Positive MatouLechat On Aug 20, 2014, MatouLechat from Bellefeuille

I am in Qubec, zone 5b

I found this rose at an end of season clearance sale. I 1st thought "OMG a sterling?!!", until I got closer and saw a regiment of thorns and a smell sooooo sweet!! It was poorly tended and was growing all sorts of wrong and almost every leaves were diseased. I managed to bring it back to beautiful dark green with an extensive pruning (following the rule of 3). I've allowed the 4 buds to open up mildly before cutting them for house use. The kitchen smelled wonderful for almost a whole week! So far it appears to be a sturdy plant that recovers easily when butchery is needed.

Positive eolivas103 On Apr 19, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

Neptune was planted last May in a very rough rocky part of my yard. I did make sure it received plenty of water but she has not been given the best of circumstances. Growth has started to take off though and she has her first bloom right now. Very beautiful mauve with a darker mauve on the shell. I am not sure if all blooms are colored like this, since this is the first one, but it is very beautiful!

Positive 80s_child On Sep 19, 2013, 80s_child from Hayward, CA wrote:

This is a Gorgeous Rose with VERY STRONG FRAGRANT, I can SMELL it from couple FOOTS away .. Beautiful light lavender mix in with light ruby, LARGE double FULL SIZE blooms, BEST of all NO disease issue for me whatsoever, BIG THICK canes with thick lushes green leafs,STRONG rose ,VERY happy with it, smellier to this is **Barbara Streisand** almost the same looks,just have more ruby in it, with STRONG FRAGRANT & disease FREE!! Just make sure plant it in SUNNY area! Loves SUN & mild/ warm type of weather ,BUT DO NOT likes INTENSE HEAT!!!
like in 90s & 100s!!....shrinks up the blooms to small size & leafs turns yellow!
I HAVE BOTH roses in my garden, and LOVE THEM BOTH ,so everyone i know & usually people asked for name of the both roses ..coz of Rich & BOLD looks with VERY STRONG FRAGRANT... Just A Beautiful Premium HT Rose for Lavender Lover!

Positive checkerdchicken On Mar 8, 2013, checkerdchicken from Chantilly, VA wrote:

I've had a Neptune for 3 years and it does very well in my garden. I love the dark green foliage and large and VERY fragrant lavender blooms. Japanese beetles love the blooms and ruin all of them if you're not proactive about spraying and picking them off.

Mine is planted in full sun on the south side of the house. Blackspot can be a problem but mine does well if I spray sulphur at last frost and pull the affected leaves quickly. I pull them everyday when I get home from work before going inside.

I have counted as many as 80 buds on this plant at one time!!

Bottom line, this bush takes a little bit of work and for it, you will be rewarded with beautiful roses with an amazing scent.

Negative tgwWhale On Jan 1, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I tried this rose a few years back. I have seldom had a rose that grew and bloomed so poorly. I think that in one summer I had no more than three blooms on this bush -- for the whole year. And the color was not the beautiful lilac color that shows in the pictures people have posted here; mine had flowers so pale that I would literally call them gray.

I culled this one after one summer. Thumbs down!

Positive dare2love On Jun 1, 2008, dare2love from Racine, WI wrote:

This is a very gorgeous rose, with a beautiful lavender color. Very fragrant. Can be prone to blackspot if not treated early. My only complaint is that it doesn't last long in a vase, maybe two - three days max.

Positive gfleet On May 10, 2008, gfleet from Germantown, TN wrote:

VERY FRAGRANT- BEAUTIFUL LILAC COLOR IN ZONE 7b- CLEAN OF DISEASE USING SYSTEMIC CONTROL- VERY LITTLE PEST PROBLEMS- I'M GROWING THIS ROSE IN 7GAL CONTAINER- NEPTUNE IS A KEEPER IN MY GARDEN.

Hayward, California