Tomato 'Pineapple'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Pineapple

Denver, Colorado

Washington, District Of Columbia

Lewiston, Idaho

Urbandale, Iowa

Kansas City, Missouri (2 reports)

Saint Louis, Missouri

Wilsonville, Oregon

West Jordan, Utah

Leesburg, Virginia

On Oct 11, 2015, masnail from Kansas City, MO wrote:

This is the first year we have grown this tomato. Someone gave us several varieties of seeds from Bakers Creek. We ended up mainly with Black Krim and Pineapple Tomato plants. The Black Krim came on very early and made tomatoes all summer. They were strange looking with knarly shoulders but nice tomato flavor with a little citrus tang. The Pineapples were very prolific but slow to ripen until mid August. However now, mid Oct, they are outproducing all of our tomatoes. I embraced the "Food not Lawns" program this year and converted part of the front parkway to Okra, potatoes, and tomatoes. I did not realize the Pineapple were ripening until I saw neighborhood walkers pausing in the street by our garden. I walked out to see what the attraction was and discovered the first ripene... read more

On Mar 14, 2012, SoCagardner from Escondido, CA wrote:

A large tomato vine with fairly low production. The tomatoes tasted just fair. Probably won't be growing it again.

On Oct 25, 2010, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mild and tasty... but, I prefer Giant Belgian for flavor and production.

On Oct 14, 2009, JeffAW from Mcminnville, OR wrote:

In neighborhood taste tests between Pineapple and other varieties of tomatoes, including the perennial favorite "Brandywine", Pineapple won hands down time and again. It had a sweet taste with a strong hint of citrus, and I agree with CMoxon that there was little actual pineapple flavor. Several people liked the fruit for the color and taste it brought to salsa, but another said that to eat Pineapple any other way than like a fresh ripe peach is a waste. Pineapple has a permanent place in my garden now.

On Apr 23, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow this tomato every year. It is very large, one slice covers a sandwich just perfect with a little overlap. It is beautiful when you cut is open with the golden yellow and vibrant red stripes. It has a nice mild, non-ascetic tomato flavor. Good sweet tomato flavor without the heartburn!

On Mar 21, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Fairly good tasting -- for a bicolor. On the mild side to my tastebuds, and I usually prefer a stronger flavored tomato. Very attractive coloration.

This variety is commonly confused with 'Hawaiian Pineapple', which is NOT a bicolor and has its own separate entry in PlantFiles.

On Aug 8, 2006, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This was a great tomato for me and I will grow it again. The fruits were large, at least 12 oz, some over a pound, and very pretty colour. The taste was a fruity blend of sweetness but balanced with a zesty tang. I did not find they were particularly reminiscent of pineapple - I sort of expected them to be sweeter than they were. In any case, great taste, and very meaty. Yum!

On Jul 13, 2006, jimdaz from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

My Pineapple Tomato has done great this summer. Seems to relish the heat in Phoenix, even though it doesn't set fruit right now. Had some impressive tomatos in the Spring, and looking forward to a Fall crop.

On Jun 7, 2006, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew it two consecutive years. Impressive color, inside and out. Flavor is good.