Tomatillo, Husk Tomato, Cape Gooseberry, Ground Cherry, Miltomate, Tomate de Fresadilla 'Pineapple'

Physalis ixocarpa

Genus: Physalis (fy-SAL-is) (Info)
Species: ixocarpa (iks-so-KAR-puh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pineapple

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Late Fall/Early Winter

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Panama City, Florida

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey

Belfield, North Dakota

Lebanon, Ohio

Waco, Texas

South Boston, Virginia

On Nov 14, 2015, MollyBlooms from Grosse Pointe Farms, MI wrote:

A friend gave me seeds and I planted them not knowing quite what to expect. Very productive plants, but the individual fruits were very small, about the size of a large blueberry. So I'm not sure what I have -- tomatillo, cape gooseberry, or ground cherry? Or are they all the same thing?

The friend who gave me the seeds also recommended bringing the plants indoors during the winter. The pots are big enough that I hesitate to do this unless there's a decent chance the plants will thrive. Are these perennials in their home environment?

On May 5, 2012, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This compact plant is really worth growing. I'm so happy with these sweet little delights, that I wish I'd planted six rows of them. I unwrap the ones, that have fallen on the ground, and eat them right on the spot for breakfast... pure garden candy! They're sweetest if you let the actual fruit turn completely gold. Bugs love the plant. I sprayed it, now and then, with organic insecticide (in the evening) and I won the battle. I purchased my seeds from Territorial Seeds.

On Sep 6, 2008, notthefunkind wrote:

this has been fun to grow. i didn't know what to expect from it in terms of flavor and ended up getting a great surprise. they're very sweet, like blueberries. when they are 100% ripe there is no tartness at all. and the sweetness almost has a hint of hazelnut about it. very tasty and very interesting. anyone i shared them with gobbled them down with lots of , 'mmm! mmmmmm!!!'s in between. several people were quite disappointed when they found out i was going to horde them up to make jam and they wouldn't be getting anymore of the fruit. for me, this plant was nowhere near five feet tall. it was about 2, but LOADED with little fruits. i only had 6 this year since i didn't know what to expect but next year i will have twice as many. and next year i'm getting someone to help me pe... read more

On Sep 2, 2007, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

My Brother In Law grew these this year. The fruits are about the size of a large green pea, and really do have a slight pineapple taste to them.

My Brother In Law and I like them, but there's three others in the family that have tried them that didn't care for them. I'm giving them a positive rating, because I like them, and I would grow them in my own garden.

On Dec 18, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A dwarf Golden Berry with branching stems and a bushy habit. Best grown under glass, producing succulent pineapple flavoured fruits enclosed by a papery husk, looking like 'Chinese Lanterns'. Can also be grown outdoors in a sunny, sheltered site. Grow as you would tomatoes or peppers.