Honeywort, Blue Shrimp Plant, Blue Wax Flower
Cerinthe major 'Pride of Gibraltar'

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Cerinthe (ser-IN-thee) (Info)
Species: major (MAY-jor) (Info)
Cultivar: Pride of Gibraltar

Not Applicable

Blue-Violet

Blue-Green

This plant is resistant to deer

Berkeley, California

Santa Cruz, California

Ama, Louisiana

Brookings, Oregon

On Sep 15, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I sowed a whole package of Renee's Garden seeds in a shallow bed with a slope between my driveway and front walk. Only one came up (it had to compete with the slope carrying things off, other seeds that had been sown and bits of bark mulch), but it was worth it.

It is not the easiest plant to collect seed from. The large seeds are hidden under leafy hoods and cling hard to the plant until they are ready. Then they fall to the ground. I had to pore through all the dross on the sidewalk to find them, but, again, I felt it was worth it. You might want to put a mini-tarp or something under your plant to make collecting seeds easier.

It's a beautiful plant that has become very popular in Berkeley over the last 5 or so years and I got many comments from passers... read more

On Jul 6, 2007, wonderearth from Santa Cruz, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this plants beautiful plump bluegreen foliage and deep purple flowers. I started it from seed this spring and it has performed beatifully with long lasting flowers. Looks really good next to my yellow Dahlias in full sun. I can't wait to collect seeds from it to start some for next year. Has anyone tried? It had a strange whitish bumpyness on some of the leaves. I'm not sure if that is just what they are like, or if it's some kind of pest; but it didn't effect the flowering or growth. It looks beautiful anyway.