Hardy Abelia

Abelia mosanensis

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abelia (a-BEE-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: mosanensis (mo-sahn-EN-sis) (Info)

This plant is resistant to deer

From leaf cuttings

Millbrook, New York

Monroe, Ohio

Durant, Oklahoma

On Aug 3, 2015, sorefingers from Mooresville, IN wrote:

I planted mine in 2013 in central Indiana. Growing and spreading in gangly fashion. Should I prune this bush from the bottom where the branches are laying on the ground?? Thanks for an answer.

On Sep 2, 2014, Salzoo from Sigulda
Latvia wrote:

...fact - dendrology in Latvia - Aija Kaskure: she is, which of the hundreds of seedlings found one clone Abelia mosanensis , which turned out well to us winter hardiness in Latvia and from her this plant went to trade throughout Europe...

On Jun 1, 2011, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I think there is some confusion over this plant's origins. I've read on several websites that it is from Latvia. That would be major scientific news as Abelias aren't considered native to Europe. The plant is listed as native to Korea, which makes more sense. What I'm assuming happenned, is that the mother plant from which it came into cultivation in the US was growing in Latvia but it is native to Korea.

On Apr 18, 2007, RosieInGeorgia from Gainesville, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Also in North Georgia, zone 7A/B. My two-year-old trial plant took this cruel spring's summer temps followed by hard freeze in stride and currently, mid-April, is covered with clusters of little flowers. The sweet fragrance wafting across the garden has made me realize that just one is not nearly enough; I need a large clump of them. It's fairly drought-tolerant and nothing has bothered it so far. Appearance in and out of bloom is modest and unassuming, but it is a fabulous backdrop plant and my early irises and Chinese snowball are blooming at the same time...

On Nov 5, 2006, Decumbent from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

The fragrance and flowers are every bit as good as Viburnum x juddii, but the form of this plant is just awful. The word "straggly" is too kind. Fall color, however, is a pick-me-up in the fall.

Breeders should get to work to produce a compact, nicely formed cultivar of this species.

On Jun 29, 2006, stressbaby from Fulton, MO wrote:

I have half a dozen of this Abelia species in full sun. Vigorous shoots grow from the base of the plant and are easily broken off by wind. Easily propagated from June cuttings. Quite fragrant. Good fall color and fragrance may not be enough to make up for the graceless habit.

On Apr 28, 2006, laurawege from Wayland, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have a small one that has made it through it's first New England winter . Last year it had one flower on it I can't wait to see what it does this year , at this point ( April 28th 2006) it looks great!

On Apr 10, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This abelia is very fragrant! It is so easy to love and absolutely care-free for me. Our GA heat doesn't faze it at all. It does lose foliage in winter but no die-back [so far].

On Feb 14, 2006, seamusandclare from Charleston, WV wrote:

A hardy 'Abelia' that was discoverd in the European Baltic State of Latvia ! Sumptuous fragrance, from rich pink flowers in May . Glossy foliage holds this plant up in the summer. Knockoutorange-red fall display. Rivals any lilac. Greyish white winter stems are even attractive. If you want to shape this plant trim after flower.