Caucasian Fir, Nordmann Fir, Nordman's Fir

Abies nordmanniana

Family: Pinaceae (py-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abies (A-bees) (Info)
Species: nordmanniana (nord-man-ee-AY-nuh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Provides winter interest

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By grafting

Suffolk, Virginia

Elma, Washington

On Jan 6, 2012, Marianaturefan from Santa Maria da Feira
Portugal wrote:

I have a 16 m tall Nordman fir in my front garden. It was planted by my mother 34 years ago when her first granddaughter was born. It was barely 1 meter high and the whole family watched her. Our plan was to have an everlasting Xmas tree but it's huge now and a great habitat for a few species - birds, doves and insects. The only con is the amount of dried needles it drops all over, including the public sidewalk. However, it will be good exercise to pick them when I retire. We all love it specially my niece who is having her first baby soon. I wonder what she will plant for her baby?
I've done a lot of research but never found out how long Nordman firs last and if there's the risk of them falling down in my time, of old age or stormy weather... Please help for nobody in Portugal see... read more

On Sep 24, 2011, DixieFir from Suffolk, VA wrote:

Planted a dozen plugs in spring of 2010. Two brutal, humid, southeastern Virginia summers and I have eleven left (and I think the one death was actually my fault). Deer bit the top off of one, but it has replaced its losses and is still going strong. There should be no doubt that Normann can thrive in Zone 7b as there is a beautiful forty foot specimen down the street from my home. Also tolerates shade well. I agree with the other post about slow growth however.

On Nov 4, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

Despite all the things I've read about Caucasian Firs not being suitable to hot and dry climates, I have successfully grown one. They seem to be quite common even where in places where they are not supposed to grow well.
It grows slowly though.

On Oct 18, 2009, slyperso1 from Richland, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Outstanding tree, the darkest green I have seen on fir, the needle are shiny and light colored on the underside, also very dense if in full sun; multi trunk is common and does not damage the look; Im not sure about deer resistance however. Good luck finding one in your local nursery.

On May 21, 2007, baroque from South Dayton, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a great fir for southern Ohio. I have had success now for over two years with the Caucasian Fir. The hot humid summers do not seem to bother it.

On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

A noble species of great ornamental value"(Hillier)...short needles are densely arranged on tiered, downward-sweeping branches. Sun-PSh/Med