Dill 'Fernleaf'

Anethum graveolens

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anethum (uh-NAY-thum) (Info)
Species: graveolens (grav-ee-OH-lens) (Info)
Cultivar: Fernleaf

Not Applicable

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Solgohachia, Arkansas

Menlo Park, California

Washington, District Of Columbia

Port Charlotte, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Welaka, Florida

New Caney, Texas

Pflugerville, Texas

Rosharon, Texas

On Mar 12, 2015, floreseta from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

Bought a pot of this fernleaf dill last fall, I'd never grown it before. I really wanted to plant it outside in my herb garden, but decided against it after reading, it doesn't like to be transplanted into the ground, instead I put it into an 11 inch terracotta pot in the lanai and water it every day. I've had mixed results growing herbs, some can't cope with the summer Florida heat and humidity.
It's March now, I'm thrilled to report that it has grown very thick so quickly, it's growing faster than I can use it, and I like to use it nearly every day. I cannot believe how well it's doing. I'm not sure yet if I'll let it go to seed, I'm thinking I probably should, as I fear it may not make it though the summer. I may use the seeds.

On May 21, 2013, ducktini from El Valle de Anton
Panama wrote:

Fernleaf grows like a bandit in my climate (Cocle, Panama at 2900 feet altitude, 60-88 F.). Low maintenance and delicious, can't beat it. However, 1 puzzling thing: I have one plot which is growing **stacks** of dill....but it was planted February 10, so it's been in for 100+ days. When the heck does it bolt? Have grown dill for years, never had it go longer than 88 days w/o blooming. Any/all ideas appreciated!

Happy herbing,

On Jan 15, 2013, RiverNymph from the Mountains, CO (Zone 4a) wrote:

I don't believe the correct pictures are being shown for this plant, at all. People are posting regular dill as photos. Please research fernleaf dill to see what it really looks like. I'm growing it now, once it's big enough I will post photos. Very excited!

On Oct 20, 2009, Gradinara from Greenville, SC wrote:

Mine grows quite well in a large container outdoors. It's easy to harvest, smells wonderful and is a great self-seeder! I like to use both the leaves and seeds in cooking. The seeds are a tasty addition to my herb potato salad. Yummm!

On Dec 9, 2007, Anitabryk2 from Long Island, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Likes to be left alone once germinated. I allow this to reseed itself. It scents the whole patio after a rain or watering.

On Apr 28, 2007, ManicReality from Houston, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

These plants do great here. If in Full sun all the time, they get a little burnt-y looking. However if in filtered light they do great. It seemed, when germinating them that they needed a bit more water than a lot of other herbs do. After they get a couple inches high went back on a 'regular' watering with the rest of em. I love the way they smell like pickles. I like putting leaves in meatloaf for seasoning.

On Mar 7, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This 1992 AAS winner is not only space-saving but is is also slow to bolt.

On May 27, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine blooms at about 4' in a pot grown over the winter.

On Jan 22, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Dill seed can take up to a month to germinate, giving fresh leaves all season. Once flowering begins, leaves become less appetizing. The plants should be left to produce seed.

Dill plants do not transplant well; the seed should be planted where they are to grow, in the fall in warm-climate areas, or in the spring in cold-winter climates.

On Jul 14, 2002, carolann from Auburn, NH wrote:

Unlike previous reviewer says, my plants are well over 3 feet tall and it is only mid July! Very vigorous and so fragrant!

On Jan 1, 2001, gardener_mick from Wentworth, SD (Zone 4a) wrote:

Dill is an annual herb. 'Fernleaf' grows to about 18" and should be spaced 6-8" apart. They need full sun and rich, moist soil. They have fine, feathery, bluish-green foliage and greenish yellow flowers that bloom in mid summer.
Leaves can be uses anytime. Seeds are used in pickling. For drying, collect on a dry day when flowers on plants are fully opened. Pinch off growing shoots of young plants to encourage more foliage production.