Red Hot Poker, Torch Lily, Tritoma

Kniphofia triangularis

Family: Asphodelaceae (as-foh-del-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kniphofia (nip-HOFF-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: triangularis (try-an-gew-LAIR-iss) (Info)
Synonym:Kniphofia triangularis subsp. triangularis

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Himrod, New York

Concrete, Washington

On Apr 3, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This species drew my attention as much through the fine texture of the grassy foliage (most Kniphofias have coarse, fat, untidy foliage) as through the luminous orange color of the refined flowers and their graceful, slender stalks.

This is one of the latest kniphofia species to bloom, August-October here (January-April in its native South Africa). It does not bloom here in spring or early summer.

I tried this species once and it didn't survive its first winter. I've been putting off trying again because the day-neutral hybrids ('Echo Royo' [Echo series] and 'Mango Popsicle' [Popsicle series] promise the refined features of K. triangularis with the addition of a much extended bloom season).

On Apr 3, 2016, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I've had many different kniphofia over the years but last year the color of these beautiful pokers caught my eye amongst all the others at the nursery. They bloomed all summer. As I dead-headed I could see new shoots already rising through the foliage. They out-bloomed all my other pokers. I live near the mountains in Western Washington where we get torrents of rain in the fall to spring----this year being a record breaker, and winter temps can easily hit 5* and even 0; and where our summers can be in the 90's all of August----last summer was relentless 90's from the end of May through August. While other plants refused to set bud in the heat, these plants produced beautifully. I've learned from past experience NOT to cut the leaves back for the winter as they drain the water away fr... read more