PlantFiles: Sweet Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Giant Marconi'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Giant Marconi

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Sweet (0 Scoville Units)
Mild (1 to 1,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Oblong

Fruit Size:
Large (more than 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Thumbnail #4 of Capsicum annuum by Lilypon

Thumbnail #5 of Capsicum annuum by jackfrost

Thumbnail #6 of Capsicum annuum by jackfrost

Thumbnail #7 of Capsicum annuum by jackfrost

Positive Cville_Gardener On Sep 3, 2013, Cville_Gardener from Highland Rim of TN
United States (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my new favorite sweet pepper. Very easy to grow here and produces very large peppers. I've had no problems with this plant. Flavor is mild but with a nice sweet pepper taste and juciness.

Positive crazyladyEdith On Apr 24, 2013, crazyladyEdith from Birdsboro, PA wrote:

Awesome pepper...though the max size is a little short. Mine usually get 3-4 feet tall. My biggest tomato cages are too small to contain these beasties. I love these peppers. one thing i disagree with in write-up..these peppers DO set seed..in fact I have about 10 third generation seedling in the ground already.The greenhouse I usually buy from had seed failure last year..glad I saved seed!

Positive zeno25 On Feb 21, 2013, zeno25 from Aurora, IL wrote:

A really nice, truly massive pepper that produced fairly well for me in 5b. AAS winner in 2001 and a lot of fun to grow.

Positive livinonfaith On Jul 17, 2011, livinonfaith from Fuquay Varina, NC wrote:

This is my favorite pepper. I personally like it better than the bells I've grown. Fantastic for grilling or stuffing, (with rice, herbs and spicy sausage, excellent!) but I use it in salads as well. It continues to produce until frost. Here in North Carolina, (zone 7b) they've even made it through some slightly frosty nights with minimal damage. (and with no help from me, I might add) A couple of years ago I pulled off the last of the peppers on Dec. 4.

Positive admodeva On Nov 22, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

These are good producers all season, right up to frost, really easy to grow here.

Positive melody On Jan 28, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

A nice big frying type pepper that roasts up nicely too. Production is very good and the fruits are tasty and very mild. I have had a few with just a touch of very faint heat at the mid ribs, but even the most fragile tounge can eat these with no problems. Just cut the mid ribs out if you want absolutely no trace of heat.

These peppers are not hot...I don't mean to give that impression...just a few of the fruits have a bare trace of 'pepper essence'. Usually the ones near the bottom of the plant, and if the plants have been stressed, as in a drought.

Neutral Farmerdill On Oct 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1999 introduction by Jim Waltrip, Seminis. Elongated 3 x 8 inch red to green fruits. (72 day).

Dutton, Alabama