PlantFiles: Orange Jessamine, Orange Jasmine
Murraya paniculata

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Murraya (mer-RAY-yuh) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)

Synonym:Murraya exotica
Synonym:Chalcas paniculata
Synonym:Chalcas exotica

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By Floridian

Thumbnail #6 of Murraya paniculata by bocaginger

By ineedacupoftea
Thumbnail #7 of Murraya paniculata by ineedacupoftea

Positive kiwisago On May 6, 2014, kiwisago from Vancouver

I'm in the north, so it is a houseplant for me. Grows quite slowly even in a sunny window, and in the winter I provide supplementary lighting. Hasn't bloomed for me yet, and it's about ten years old, but I enjoy the lovely leaves and a generally rather elegant shape ( I prune and care for it in a semi-bonsai sort of way, since it's too leggy for a traditional bonsai). It makes for a bit of an unusual houseplant.

Positive hasan12 On Aug 21, 2013, hasan12 from faisalabad
Pakistan wrote:

i have 3 plants (1 thai and 2 china) in my garden of faisalabad in pakistan.i lov this plant bcz ovr neighbor hiuses and the whole block is full of its fregrence :)

Positive WhitneyJ On Jul 24, 2013, WhitneyJ from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I have a large 15-20 ft tree on the side of my house we just bought and love it. What is the best way to start a seedling or start another tree somewhere else is my yard? I'm not a green thumb and all the help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Positive maximoose On Jan 12, 2013, maximoose from Gulf Gate Estates, FL wrote:

I live in SW Florida and I think this may be my all time favorite plant. At our previous house I planted a few and loved the natural shape, the birds nesting in them, the butterflies, the screen effect, the fact that they naturalize and I can replant the babies :) and they grow pretty fast. When we moved I dug up about 15 babies, potted & brought them with us. I planted them about 4 feet apart. They are growing into a beautiful natural hedge and thick enough I can barely see the neighbors on the other side. I don't like to plant anything anymore that takes too much work or pruning. I have never pruned these and once they are established I very rarely have had to water them as they are extremely drought tolerant. If you plant them initially is some good soil, water them in well for the first two weeks you shouldn't have to do much after that. They prefer to be an understory plant, with some shade, but also do very well in the open. The blooms are tiny white, extremely fragrant smelling like orange blossoms. HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you want a low maintenance, fragrant, non messy, fast growing dense bush that attracts wildlife! :) :) love it ! love it !

Positive islandgirl37 On Jun 14, 2011, islandgirl37 from Marathon, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

I've had so many of these and always end up digging them up and giving them away. One thing I do not like about them is the constant pruning. Down here they grow really fast and get really scraggly looking, even if they are trained as a standard. However, they are almost carefree. Once established, fairly drought tolerant. Do fine in our Alkaline soils, can take full sun but do better in partial sun. They don't get quite as leggy in full sun, but they do take a lot more water.

As other mentioned the scent is amazing. a very strong Jasmine scent. It doesn't waft as much as Michelia Alba or Canang Odorata but it's very nice to bring inside and put in a vase. The flowers don't last long very long in a vase with water.

I have a big one that I'm getting ready to dig up and I'm going to try it in a pot and see if I can bonsai it. Will report back how it takes the move since it's been in the ground a couple of years.

Neutral bonsai94 On Feb 19, 2010, bonsai94 from Palm Coast, FL wrote:

I had two bushes. And they both died from the frost. The bark pealed off and they never came back. but it is a very nice plant to have.

Positive khabbab On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

In Lahore Pakistan, this plant had 2 variants. One which becomes a small tree of about 10-15 feet. Other variety is dwarf shrub of 2-4 feet. Fragrance is divine and reaches far around the area. I have planted 2 dwarf varieties, one in soil bed and another in clay pot. Blooms heavily in rainy season monsoon but occasionally in other warmer months as well. This is the queen of fragrance, no match with other jasmines. Jasmine sambac does compete it though.

Positive carpathiangirl On Jun 19, 2009, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Love this plant! I have dwarf variety and enjoy it's shiny lacy leaves, interesting grayish stem and those absolutely wonderful flowers. It starts blooming being only 1 inch tall and is almost ever-blooming given warm temps and bright light. It can be grown as a small houseplant but the bigger a pot the bigger it grows. It branches beautifully and looks like bonsai with no effort on your part plus the heavenly smell no bonsai could even dream of. Well worth $20 I've spent on-line to get it.

Positive belvedere7 On Dec 1, 2008, belvedere7 from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have a lot of these growing in Los Angeles. One is at 10 feet tall almost blocking a picture window of a second floor apartment. The former tenants complained about bees but everybody loves the scent. I just bought a small plant to replace a few plants that the gardener dug up after the building was tented for termites. Although the plants lost their leaves the remaining bushes sprang back to life in a couple of months. I have had success in propagating cuttings of this plant by putting the gardener's trimmings in potting soil during our short rainy season. They must have been popular in Los Angeles during the 30's and 40's when these plants were put in the ground.

Positive vossner On Sep 23, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have been growing a dwarf variety which should get no taller than 3 ft. Mine are planted inground, bright shade. They has survived the past two winters w/o problems. Slow growers.

Positive someday101 On Jan 29, 2007, someday101 from San Antonio, TX wrote:

Grows Well in San Antonio (Zone 8B). Had a couple of Hard Freezes and survived. No Damage.

Positive Kylie2x On Sep 8, 2006, Kylie2x from Millsap, TX wrote:

I started it from seed ..It is a slow grower but not very needy at all. I do overwinter it inside. I can hardly wait for it to bloom..

Positive WUVIE On May 23, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Here in Northeastern Oklahoma, this beauty must
be brought indoors during the cold weather. When
in bloom, it's fragrance is absolutely divine, filling
the house with floral scent you can't help but to keep
inhaling.

Aphids can be a problem.

Grenoble,
Chandler, Arizona
Escondido, California
Lafayette, California
Los Angeles, California (2 reports)
Van Nuys, California
Marathon, Florida
Odessa, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Palm Coast, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Punta Gorda, Florida