PlantFiles: Canna Lily
Canna lumbautum

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: lumbautum

Dark/Black
Bronze-Green

By Abutilon
Thumbnail #1 of Canna lumbautum by Abutilon

Positive CrabgrassCentrl On Sep 23, 2010, CrabgrassCentrl from New Milford, CT wrote:

I grew mine from seed and they flourished immediately, even in the drought of 2010. Reached @ 6 feet tall. Definitely a hummer magnet.

Neutral BeckysueHill On Apr 15, 2010, BeckysueHill from Robersonville, NC wrote:

We have lived in our house for over 10 yrs. When we moved in, there were bronze colored canna lilies planted in a brick window box on the east side of the house. My job kept me so busy, that I hadn't allowed the garden fever to hit, so payed very little attention to them. Last spring, we noticed the box was being pushed away from the house, so I moved the tubers into a new flower garden I was establishing. By late August, they were over 7 feet tall! Though the flowers were insignificant when viewed on this huge plant, they did attract the hummingbirds. This year, they are coming up at least 3 times more than what I planted. I'm already having to cut some off, as they are spreading into where I have other bulbs planted and don't want to disrupt those bulbs. I really enjoyed them last year, but if I don't move them this fall, my entire garden will be cannas! My husband is preparing a place at the front of our pasture, where they can spread as much as their hearts desire.

Positive Abutilon On Oct 3, 2007, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Agreed this is a nice species type plant. Hummingbirds like it a lot.

Positive zzazzq On Feb 16, 2006, zzazzq from Madison, MS wrote:

Nice species type canna, medium height, tubular red flowers. Hummingbirds like it. Green foliage.

New Milford, Connecticut