Pink-flowered Chocolate Vine, Five-Leaf Akebia, Raisin Vine 'Rosea'

Akebia quinata

Family: Lardizabalaceae
Genus: Akebia (a-KEE-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: quinata (kwi-NAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Plano, Texas

Clifton, Virginia

Olympia, Washington

On Feb 27, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've had to deal with this species in a garden where a neighbor had allowed it to climb a fence. It required endless attention. It grows with astonishing speed, and I was continually pulling up 12' runners that were already rooting at every node. It also twines about and strangles any woody plant it can reach. Untangling it was immensely time-consuming.

Its height is limited only by the height of its support. It can climb tall trees.

This vine has naturalized in 16 states and has been reported invasive of natural areas in 6. I know it's taken over hundreds of acres of woodland on the Biltmore estate in NC.

On Jun 3, 2006, whitefleur from Pennellville, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

This vine was given to me last fall and overlooked for the winter in Central NY. Zone 5b
When I went to look at it in March, I was surpised to see that not only did it live, It was very happily blooming! It was in a pot on the ground on the north facing side of the deck. It still has a few blossoms on it and is doing quite well. I had no idea what this vine was until I did an intensive search.

On Mar 26, 2005, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am very impressed with the coloring of this flower! Mine start out cream colored and age to a gorgeous combination of deep periwinkle, peach, and mauve. Great color combo!

This vine is evergreen for me, and blooms well in early Spring. It is fragrant and definitely a keeper!