PlantFiles: Oleander
Nerium oleander 'Mrs. George Roeding'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nerium (NER-ee-um) (Info)
Species: oleander (oh-lee-AN-der) (Info)
Cultivar: Mrs. George Roeding

Thumbnail #3 of Nerium oleander by brical1

Thumbnail #4 of Nerium oleander by brical1

Thumbnail #5 of Nerium oleander by brical1

Positive Catrscr On Aug 18, 2014, Catrscr from Hanford, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

We have a lot of oleanders here in the Central Valley of California. Yes, the plants are toxic but I have handled them for years without injury. They are a beautiful, hardy, easily-maintained plant and the size and colors vary a lot. Flowers can vary from deep red to white. There is a plant they call "oleander" that has a yellow flower but it is not a Nerium oleander. The size can be 20' feet to less than 6' for the dwarfs. They are hardy in our dry weather and once established will survive drought pretty well though watering regularly brings out the flowers.

Negative Snowball2 On Aug 18, 2014, Snowball2 from St George, UT wrote:

2 years ago I relocated to St George Utah. It is a nice home that had HOA landscaping in place; mostly Oleander, Red Yucca, Mesquite trees. In the first month I developed a serious Bronchitis that did not go away easily. I discovered that I am allergic to Oleander! (as are many other people in this area) The Pollen and the fine dust that is present under the leaves is the cause. I learned these plants are toxic to pets and cattle. I removed the 7 Oleander bushes during the next month and don't suffer the allergy symptoms as much. There is a lot of Oleander in the St George area, so I can't get total free of the allergy. I have been told that here in Utah it is illegal for the Nursery's to sell Oleander now. It is a dangerous plant, and I don't think it is very showy anyway. Boy Scouts on a campout used Oleander branches as Hotdog roasting sticks and 1 boy died, the others were very sick.

Canoga Park, California
Hanford, California
Menlo Park, California
Las Vegas, Nevada
Mont Belvieu, Texas
Saint George, Utah (2 reports)