PlantFiles: Hot Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Thai Dragon'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Thai Dragon

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Hot (5,000 to 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)
Medium (4" to 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

By kanita
Thumbnail #1 of Capsicum annuum by kanita

By AdrianWisler
Thumbnail #2 of Capsicum annuum by AdrianWisler

Positive daredevil On Feb 17, 2008, daredevil from Niagara Falls, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I concur with everything written above about the disease-free nature, beauty and productivity of this plant, but must add a comment about the taste. In hot weather, it can be as spicy as some Habanera but never has that weird metallic aftertaste. For now, it's my favorite pepper.

Neutral mystic On Aug 4, 2007, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Received the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), 2006 Award of Garden Merit.

Positive Breezymeadow On Mar 5, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this variety back in 1995 it performed wonderfully.

Plants were large, bushy, pest/disease-free with no controls necessary, & covered with literally hundreds of approx. 3" long, narrow, thin-walled, HOT peppers. Like most, they started out green & ripened to red, & I used them at both stages depending on the recipe. As a fan of spicy Asian & Italian cooking, I primarily used them fresh/whole in various stirfries & Italian sauces.

I had so many left in the garden at the time we were expecting our first hard frost (end of October), that after filling 2 plastic shopping bags full of peppers, I gave up picking & simply uprooted the plants whole & hung them root side up in a spare bedroom to dry for use during the winter.

(Just an added note that this year (2005) I grew these in containers (approx. 2 gallon) on my deck & they performed BEAUTIFULLY. While the plants themselves didn't grow as large as the garden plants, they were/are extremely attractive & covered with about 50-60 bright red peppers apiece. I'm thinking of perhaps bringing one or two indoors before frost hits for some winter color & fresh hot peppers for cooking.)

Positive melody On Mar 4, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Hot and productive, this pepper is nice for drying and adding to pepper blends. A couple added to a jar of pickles gives a nice bite too. Pretty much disease free in this area, it does well in my garden and I've grown it in containers with success also.

Neutral Farmerdill On Oct 7, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1994 hybrid. 70 days. Pungent, and five times hotter than Jalapeno. Fruits are 3-1/2" long by 1/2" wide at the shoulder with thin walls.

Alameda, California