Rose of Sharon, Althea
Hibiscus syriacus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: syriacus (seer-ee-AK-us) (Info)
Synonym:Althaea syriacus

Laguna Beach, California

Lincoln, California

Lompoc, California

Los Alamitos, California

Magalia, California (3 reports)

Montgomery Creek, California

Paradise, California

Sacramento, California (2 reports)

Stockton, California

Cumming, Georgia

Douglasville, Georgia

Jesup, Georgia

Jonesboro, Georgia

Lilburn, Georgia (2 reports)

Marietta, Georgia

Indianapolis, Indiana

Macy, Indiana

Madison, Indiana

South Bend, Indiana

Vincennes, Indiana (2 reports)

Warren, Indiana

Davenport, Iowa

Arkansas City, Kansas

Clay Center, Kansas

Lansing, Kansas (2 reports)

Benton, Kentucky

Pikeville, Kentucky

Salvisa, Kentucky

Slade, Kentucky

Taylorsville, Kentucky

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (3 reports)

Bossier City, Louisiana

Lafayette, Louisiana

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Madisonville, Louisiana

New Iberia, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana (3 reports)

Saint Francisville, Louisiana

Burlington, New Jersey

Glassboro, New Jersey

Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey

New Milford, New Jersey

Albuquerque, New Mexico (2 reports)

Bosque Farms, New Mexico

Southold, New York

Syosset, New York

West Henrietta, New York

Yonkers, New York

Charlotte, North Carolina (2 reports)

Clemmons, North Carolina

Akron, Ohio

Bowling Green, Ohio

Bucyrus, Ohio

Cambridge, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio (2 reports)

Columbia Station, Ohio

Newalla, Oklahoma

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Lake Oswego, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Allentown, Pennsylvania

Summerville, South Carolina

Sumter, South Carolina

Travelers Rest, South Carolina

Hendersonville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee (3 reports)

Lafayette, Tennessee

Pocahontas, Tennessee

Readyville, Tennessee

Anna, Texas

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Baytown, Texas

Huntsville, Texas

Katy, Texas

Kurten, Texas

Lancaster, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas (2 reports)

Longview, Texas

Roanoke, Texas

Rosharon, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Royse City, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Smithville, Texas

South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Aug 21, 2015, jaruleforlife from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Beautiful flower

On Aug 10, 2015, pattipinetree from Kincardine, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Have had Rose of Sharon in all of my gardens over the last 35 years. Beautiful blooms in August in mid-western Ontario along Lake Huron. However this plant, at this location and climate is completely invasive through self-seeding. I literally pull hundreds of seedlings each year from only two mature plants. Have propagated many as gifts and along a fence line with absolutely no difficulty. Most beautiful when plants of two colours are grown in the same spot to produce a variety of blooms, mine are pink and purple. At this location the Rose of Sharon is far more robust than my hibiscus and not at all prone to insect devastation.

On Apr 3, 2015, hardycactusro from Bucharest
Romania wrote:

With only 500-600mm rainfall here, it rarely self-seeds, not to mention becoming a weed. I always loved this plant and just planted 80 of them. Their leaves are said to have medicinal value, the flowers edible. I will try them once.
In fact, I got so many plants because of the tortoises I keep: a welcomed and nutricious supplement with lots of pollen, right when the native broadleaf weeds are scorched in late summer; quite a famine time, and tortoises usually would fast, burrow and aestivate for a while otherwise. So, instead of a few difficult weeks, the juicy flowers fatten the torties and get them in good shape for the hibernation.

On Dec 8, 2014, flamingonut from New Milford, NJ wrote:

Beautiful; covered with bees, visited by hummingbirds, but HORRIBLY INVASIVE, spreading by seed. Come late spring into late summer, I am ripping out seedlings out by the high hundreds. And only because it's my neighbor's and they know nothing about controlling their huge, out of control, monstrosity. I have one, which I faithfully prune and attempt to remove the spent seed heads, but even so, that one still manages to reseed, just a few seedlings I am happy to say.

On Dec 7, 2014, Pierangelo_Tosi from Gattico
Italy (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have two long hedges of Hibiscus Syriacus in the North of Italy zone 7a. I have all the four colors but I collected seeds in Connecticut from a plant that seemed to have a darker shade of blue. The new plants that I got form those seeds have much more variability in colors that the local indigenous plants and also bloom about one or two weeks before the other. The only thing that is a bit annoying is that this plant has an insect the Firebug, ( Pyrrhocoris Apterus ) that tend to make colonies at the base of the plant.

On Dec 4, 2014, sshort from Kansas City, MO wrote:

I am a +/- on the Althea. My garden is in a micro climate zone 6b with river bottom soil. Between my neighbor's box elder and mimosa and my Althea, I spend most of my year pulling volunteer seedlings out of my flower garden. As a new gardner I planted a "tri-color" Althea purchased at a garden club sale. I liked where it was, but learned to be brutal to it. I trimmed it to the least vigorous leader, making a nice 7 foot rounded tree with white flowers. It requires removing seed pods and pruning in the fall , but is a nice counterbalance with my climbing rose and lilies. Would I plant another one, no way.

On Dec 3, 2014, patsdogs from Shawnee, OK wrote:

I grew althea for over 15 years in the CA mountains (about Z6) in soil that was quite acidic. Never a problem of controlling the plant. I've had several of them in central OK for the past 8 years and I love them. There has never been a hint of invasiveness, and I have at least 4 different varieties. The soil here is neutral, running a bit to alkaline.
I recently took some cuttings off a plant that I really want, and was pleased to see that all of them seem to be rooting.
Unless something changes drastically, they will remain one of my favorite large ornamentals. For me, they are less care and bloom longer than the big crape myrtles that also are so popular here.

On Dec 3, 2014, hikerpat from Knoxville, TN wrote:

Living in Knoxville TN, I have had the opportunity to do some yard maintenance for friends/neighbors. What grows here is a small tree - no shrub. And, invasive??? Get yourself some very strong hands, for you are going to need them - for 100s of these trees' horrible shoots. They immediately put a root straight down to H***. The longer you let them stay in the ground, the taller the plant and deeper the root. Cutting the root at the ground's surface is a sure-fire way of having it come back in less than a week. Round-up merely poisons the soil but does nothing to kill the obnoxious seedlings. Don't say you were not given a warning!

On Dec 3, 2014, rexxmama from Erie, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I also consider this plant to be an invasive weed (in my PA zone 5 yard.) One came with the property when I bought my house, and it appears to propagate via running roots, like raspberries do. The original shrub I had torn out, but it had already established itself across the chain-link fence into my neighbor's yard. They love it, unfortunately, so I'm still yanking out shoots along my side of the fence & hacking off branches that grow between the links and droop over the fence into my yard, to give my own plantings some room and sunlight. Worst thing to plant IMHO, unless you've got a few fallow acres you don't care about.

On Dec 3, 2014, plantgnome1 from nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

The most invasive shrub I have ever encountered. Throws seeds all over the place which in turn grow new shrubs. My daughter has a ton of them from previous owner and I use nearly a gallon of roundup every spring to kill off the seedlings and pull the ones out that just won't die. Hate it with a vengence. If they weren't so huge, I'd pull every one of them out and burn them.

On Dec 3, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

An aggressive self-sower here in Boston Z6a. Even the cultivars bred for sterility are not truly sterile.

I've maintained some by pollarding, cutting the pod-bearing branches back hard annually just before they begin to open in the fall, and this seems to help reduce self-sowing and improve flowering. Still, they're a lot of work. For a shrub with late summer bloom, I'd rather grow the new Z6-hardy crepe myrtles (Lagerstromia).

Exceptionally late to leaf out in spring, not till June here.

Individual flowers last less than a day, closing in late afternoon, except for one or two cultivars.

The USDA and US Forest Service give information about this species' invasiveness here:

... read more

On Jul 27, 2014, CarolMcKenzie from Irvine, KY wrote:

When I moved to Kentucky, I was told the property had two "beautiful" Rose of Sharon trees. Coming from Wisconsin, I had no idea what those were. When they bloomed, I thought they were gorgeous.

Until the following spring when I found there were hundreds of seedlings in the flower bed I was rehabilitating. There are also hundreds of them in the woods at the edge of the property, along the road to our house and pretty much anywhere within a five mile radius of ANY Rose of Sharon tree.

The USDA lists it as invasive in Kentucky (it actually has it listed as Weed of the Week) stating it crowds out native plants. For that reason alone, I will never plant this again, and will try to pull as many seedlings from my property.

I'd strongly advise anyone... read more

On Nov 29, 2012, meganke from Chambers Estates, FL wrote:

Thanks so much for posting this. We actually have this tree in our house and we are looking for a company for tree maintenance in Minnesota

On Sep 18, 2012, jtkenya from Fort Pierce North, FL wrote:

Can't wait to see how my plants will turn out! I just love these flowers and had to dig some up while on vacation. I have the normal hibiscus but wanted something else as well. I have about 8-12 newly transplanted plants from my Grandmas house in west Virgina and brought them down to FL. Each plant right now is about a foot or so tall and doing great in their new home after 6 days of being in FL "dirt" (for those who are not familar with FL dirt its a nasty gray sand). Even noticing some bright new green leaves on a couple of them. One looked like it wasn't going to make it and was rather wilted for a few days but now starting to straighten up.

On Jul 6, 2012, Oldfashioned from Saint Clair, MI wrote:

I took cuttings from my Dad's old home because he is gone now and his Rose of Sharon is still with us. I in turn have given cuttings to my children. Originally we planted a couple cuttings by the chimney but moved them when they got too big and now they are by the deck. Hummingbirds love the blossoms and as far as being invasive, I just weed the new sprouts as they come up. My only problem now (July) is Japanese beetles. I will spray but a mother robin has built a nest in the foliage so I will have to wait until her babies leave. I have both purple and white/rose. The white/rose is my favorite and a bit more rare, I think.

On Dec 26, 2011, MotherEarthFla from Palatka, FL wrote:

To all that love this plant/tree: I have posted two pictures of this wonderful plant. I tried over and over to propagate this plant with no success. Then one day, during my yearly inspection for my nursery my inspector said try air propagation. I thought to myself, da, I should have been doing that all along. It worked, and it did not take the three months I was told it would, it took 5 weeks. I only have about 30+ plants left (friend and family have the rest). I plan to propagate this plant till the day I die. It is beautiful, and I have not had the problems that others have talk about. My grandmother had a solid pink one when I was growing up, now I have a blue/lavender one. Its like having a wonderful carnation tree, as they do look more like a carnation.

On Sep 24, 2011, fairygothmom from Glen Cove, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have spent every growing season for the last 17 years pulling up seedlings in my garden beds and mowing over those in my lawn. Still, what began as ONE "tricolor" bush - really three different color varieties in one large pot - has managed to spread all over my yard. I foolishly allowed it to grow to maturity in a few spots and, despite my best efforts to clear these spots for new beds, the roots still survive and send up shoots. Will be clearing off snow and attacking with a drill and salt-vinegar solution in a few months, as suggested by a local landscaper who thinks he eradicated them from his yard two years ago.

On Jun 30, 2011, Samlau from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Pretty flowers but HIGHLY invasive in the Cincinnati area.
Self seeds so densely that it broke the chain-link fence in my backyard.

On Jun 27, 2011, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant. It bloomed from May to November in my New Mexico garden. My Grandma had one for years. Mine succumbed to a rare hard bitter freeze we got in Feb. this year. But since we don't get much rain it never reseeded. I assume from other comments that even though mine looked very nice, I should have watered it more. I would plant one again as it loves the desert.

On May 4, 2011, GEGinn from Cypress, TX wrote:

My wife and I planted our althea about a year after we had our house built and it has done very well, that was six years ago. Although it suffered from aphids for a couple of seasons two years ago and after battling those pesky critters with several spray pesticides I tried a granular systemic around the roots problem solved.
My wife loves this plant I have seen some hummingbirds come for a visit now and again I guess they like too!
I read some of the Negative reports about it spreading throughout their yard, land, drives, porches, etc many of my family members have had altheas and they or I have never had this occur. My family members plants are between 15 to 30 years old and have never wandered away from the original planting area. I wish ours would spread so I can ha... read more

On Apr 6, 2011, cornettd from Liberty Hill, TX wrote:

I planted one at my previous home in Round Rock Texas and loved it. It was covered with blooms pretty much all summer long. I watered it when I got around to it (not regularly) and it didn't seem to phase it a bit. Several stated that the plant is invasive. I didn't have any issue with this whatsoever. Mine was planted in my yard, in St. Augustine grass that was mowed regularly. Maybe this is why.

On Sep 19, 2010, Garden_Fanatic from Fairport, NY wrote:

Normally I would steer people away from Rose of Sharon or at least give them a warning. The weedy varieties of this plant are beyond aggressive. However, with skepticism I planted Althea and I am pleasantly surprised. I've had 3 shrubs for 5 years and they are very slow growers as opposed to their cousins and they don't reseed much at all. I've got other ROS nearby so I can't be sure whose seeds they are, but I have my suspicions. For those of you who have mature shrubs yet despise plucking the millions of seedlings out of the ground every spring, try planting pachysandra under the shrubs. I found this out by accident when a patch crept under some of my shrubs. A thick patch of pachysandra works like a charm in choking out 99% of the seedlings. I've seen some advice that says to tri... read more

On Jul 21, 2010, Missy76 from Sterling Heights, MI wrote:

I just love this plant! I just recieved a few seedlings. Can I plant these in a defused sunlight location? I have a place on the north side of my home that I feel they will look great. Just not sure if they will get the sun they might require.

On Jun 23, 2010, nolainbloom from New Orleans, LA wrote:

My neighbor has a lovely althea which is in full bloom right now. However, the plant has become rather top heavy in growth. Currently our weather here in New Orleans is bringing daily heavy rain showers causing the canopy of the tree to bend severly. Seeking advise on how best to deal with this problem while maintaining the beauty of the tree. Should the tree be pruned and if so, how should this be done? The growth pattern of this althea is less shrub-like than most I have observed in other gardens. This specimen is more in tree-form, growing from a sturdy single trunk and spanning out and upwards with single long branches which, when pounded by the rains, bend and droop almost to the ground. Any advise wold be most appreciated.

On Jun 21, 2010, ogon from Paradise, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

The bicolor white and red single bloom variety has been passed along from generation to generation in my family for at least five generations and likely well over 100yrs. If you are looking for a viariety that does NOT freely self seed, ours doesn't and has been passed along by cutting. I can't remember any seedlings popping up, but it does grow exceptionally well from cutting. The down side is it doesn't like to grow in tree form, and as soon as you prune it new branches form within the week. Otherwise, it is very hardy and disease resistant.

The double purple variety seems to get aphids easily, but the white and red single has so far been pretty resistant. Overall a very nice plant with lots of sentimental value!

On Jun 10, 2010, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think the problem you are having with self seeding may be due to the variety. I have a beautiful, ten-year-old Blue Bird Rose of Sharon that has never self seeded. So, just ask for the infertile varities. I love my Rose of Sharon well enough that I'd trim off the seed capsules or weed around them if I had to in order to keep it around. Crepes and Rose of Sharon are garden mainstays in OKC when the heat cranks up and some plants just give out.

On Jun 8, 2010, calle from Centre, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Ditto every negative statement about this weed. I bought property that had 6 of these planted. That was five years and 5,000 seedlings ago. I have already begun to cut every one down. No amount of round-up or weed-be-gone has affected the seedlings, they simply turn yellow and persist. My hands are raw from trying to pull the seedlings out of the ground. They have deep tap roots making it difficult.

On Jun 8, 2010, msconnie from Hendersonville, TN wrote:

Where I live in Middle Tennessee this is an extremely invasive plant. It has come under my concrete patio and asphalt driveway and sent up tough, woody stalks as much as 40 feet from the original shrub. My advice would definitely be to pass on this rascal.

On Jun 7, 2010, schifferle from Lansing, KS wrote:

My local nurseryman chuckled when I asked about sterile varieties. He said none are completely sterile. I planted several 'Minerva' & 'Aphrodite' in my backyard along my fence anyway because I always read that they were sterile. I should have listened to my nurseryman. I have volunteers in the hundreds around them every spring. Fortunately, I have a couple 'Blue Chiffon' in my frontyard that are beautiful & self-sow very little. So my view of Rose of Sharon are mixed. I'm thinking of getting rid of all the backyard ones. What a weedy pain!

On Jun 7, 2010, nosopradio from Syosset, NY wrote:

Don't plant this, unless that is all you want on your property!
This is an extremely invasive plant. I had several of them removed from one side of my yard, and the next year, millions of little seedlings came up in an adjacent bed, and I had to painstakingly pull them all out.
2 years later, I am still getting seedlings here and there.
This large shrub acts more like a weed!
The flowers are nice, but if you let it, it will take over everything!
There are so many other flowering shrubs that are NOT invasive.

On Jun 7, 2010, zone5dirt from Crystal Lake, IL wrote:

The 'White Chiffon' variety has proven not to be invasive in our Chicago area garden. Japanese beetles love the flowers, but we have no other problems with this variety. It's easy to grow and works well in our area.

On Jun 7, 2010, sassafrasgreen from Georgetown, IN wrote:

Rose of Sharon is an exotic invasive WEED plant, and is listed as invasive by many States. Do NOT plant this thing. It will "volunteer" from seeds. Plant something Native instead, or at least something that does not spread by seeds.

On Apr 18, 2010, JayneW from Tomball, TX wrote:

I got this plant as a gift from a neighbor when I moved a few years ago. It grew quickly and delighted me with blooms from spring through fall. The bees and the hummingbirds loved it too. I took some cuttings to bring with my my house when I moved again in 2008. Those cuttings took well in the new garden. I thought they had died in the harsh winter the Houston area had 2009/2010, but they came back. And at their feet, lots of little seedlings! I put up having to pull the seedlings because I love the blooms. But if you don't like weeding, give this one a miss.

On Nov 29, 2009, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9 Lake Sam Rayburn, Broaddus, deep East, TX
Althea is one of my favorite shrubs. However, I have always pruned in the Fall (not good) I read it blooms on last years growth. Learn something new on Dave's Garden every day.
PROPOGATION: I cut a branch off & poke a hole in the ground, place my branch in hole in the Fall or Spring & it grows into a lovely Althea tree.
It is so easy & trouble free to grow.
Keep those hands dirty & warm.

On Oct 10, 2009, flowerloco from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I agree the plant is invasive, but the sturdiness of the plant and the bloom make it worthwhile. In addition to bees, hummingbirds love this flower. To keep the seedlings under control, cut the immature seed pods off before they ripen. Don't be afraid to prune aggressively to keep it in shape. They love a good haircut and will come back full and well-shaped. I agree also that they belong in a place where their bare branches are not noticable, but surprise you with an unexpected show later in summer. Good luck cutting it down! It will probably come back from the roots.

On Jul 11, 2009, chezfran from Portland, OR wrote:

Have 2 double flower shrubs against a wood fence with carpet red roses at their feet (great combo), but dismayed that hummingbirds can't get into double flowers, actually watched a frustrated bird try to access. Want to bring hummingbirds back by adding a 3rd single-bloom variety, but now worried about 'invasive' comments below. Does white/red center also have this problem? Anyone recommend specific color/variety?

On May 11, 2009, nanabest1 from Clarkston, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

We planted this lovely grower 10 years ago in full sun, it has grown beautifully and produces gorgeous pink/white blooms. Also our sprinkler system keeps it watered often.

On Mar 21, 2009, sheltwist from mississauga

Yes it is beautiful in bloom and I don't even mind all the bees BUT it is very, very invasive. I will be cutting mine down this spring and replacing with something not invasive.

On Aug 19, 2008, cscox from Greencastle, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love these bushes! The house we moved into already had some very mature, tall bushes that serve as a privacy fence. We just bought a new bush two months ago for the other side of the yard and although it is small, it has had the most beautiful blooms. Just last week it started dropping leaves and hasn't stopped. It's almost bald! What happened? It's in a sunny spot. Help!

On Aug 3, 2008, RosemaryA from Toronto, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Beautiful, easy, no-maintenance plant. It's tropical-looking blooms are a welcome addition in our Canadian garden.

On May 9, 2008, ericabelle from West Plains, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

We gained five altheas in a recent move to a new house. They are about 7 feet tall and trained very attractively in topiary style. They start leafing out in April here and are now fully leafed out. They haven't bloomed yet, but several of my new neighbors have mentioned that they are quite spectacular all summer long.

On Apr 23, 2008, westcreek from Cutchogue, NY wrote:

My "tree that grew in Brooklyn" was a large rose of Sharon tree that grew in our tiny front garden. In August it was covered with bubble-gum pink flowers that were so "double" they looked like carnations. I haven't seen another one like it and would appreciate any info re obtaining one.

On Apr 13, 2008, ChicagoKathy from Chicago, IL wrote:

We have a Rose of Sharon "Diana" and let me tell you, in Chicago, this shrub is awesome! We have it growing like a tree with the lower branches removed. As new homeowners buying in May, we had no idea this was anything other than some tree cramped between our house and the next (about 15 feet between houses). When fall came, I peeked out a window we normally keeped draped because the neighbors window is right there and BAM! A "tree" that had thousands of huge white flowers with magenta centers. Beautiful! The blooms were about 6 inches in diameter and my cat just sat on that windowsill and watched the birds all day come and go from the Rose of Sharon "tree."

On Jan 7, 2008, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

Hibiscus Syriacus is great bush for me in Zone 5A. Blooms are tropical looking (Single flowered hisbiscus') and come later in the season. They need well drained soil in winter here. If we have a wet and rough winter many loose them. Cause of the drainage. Are very late to leaf out with the Buddleia davidii, and the Campsis Radican. To keep mine from looking dead for the spring time. I plant a Early blooming type A or B Clematis with them when they are still young. Now for spring you'll have nice clematis flowers and foliage on them, and once the Clematis starts to look worn in the summer the Hibiscus takes over.

On Nov 6, 2007, indianna from Bloomington, IN wrote:

Zone 6B. I loved to watch the hummingbirds and butterflies around the bush. It grows, flowers, and self-seeds too well here to be close to the house or sidewalk. I ripped all of them out and spent considerable time digging out the volunteers for months. A good application would be a distant hedge on a acreage where mowing would take care of the self seeding, and viewing them from a distance obviate dead heading and ground litter problems.The garden writer from Louisville recommends a sterile cultivar "Diana" which would avoid all the self-seeding. Do hummers like sterile shrubs? What about the rampant growth?

On Oct 27, 2007, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love mine! They are easy to care for and the blooms are awesome. The hummingbirds really like them too!

On Oct 12, 2007, goofybulb from (Zone 5b) wrote:

This was a very nice surprise for me!
I got a blue hibiscus syriacus in June. It was really small, about 4 inches tall. It grew with high speed, now it's almost 2.5 feet tall, and started flowering quickly. since august, I've been enjoying its beautiful flowers. I think I have to cut it, to stimulate branching, but I'm waiting for a cooler weather. REALLY BEAUTIFUL! (trying to upload a picture as well)
I don't think mine will spread from seeds, though (does seem sterile, never formed a capsule).

On Sep 30, 2007, bobbeau from East Greenwich, RI wrote:

I have several altheas growing here in my yard in RI. I've controlled unwanted sprouts by removing seed pods in fall before they dry and disburse seeds. Next door neighbors have not done this, however, and I've had hundreds of babies to pull up every spring from their plants. They are highly invasive, but if care is taken to control their spread, they can be very showy in mid to late summer. I have white, lavender, rose, and a darker purple. I also have a double flower plant that does not produce seed pods.

On Sep 10, 2007, eskarp from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

A large pink althea lived beside the house I grew up in 50 years ago in Illinois. When I was last in that town (10 years ago) the bush was still alive! It required no special care.

On Jul 4, 2007, aguy1947 from Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, NL (Zone 5a) wrote:

The late leafing out (dead appearance) may be the reason it is not found commonly in the zone 5 parts of Newfoundland. I have seen it growing six ft from a house, facing south. Other than that I see it sold in stores but do not see it in gardens.... I have seedlings in 3.5" pots that I wintered outdoors, and I am still waiting on July 4 for signs of life. By comparison, the P.G. Hyrdrangeas have some leaves out on this date, and it is a cold season with Azaleas still blooming.

On Jun 17, 2007, gardenerokie from Fairview, OK wrote:

I have had my Rose of Sharon for about 6 years, and like it very much , flowers all summer long here in zone 6, no trouble with caring for it. The Gardener

On Apr 30, 2007, LuvsNature from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

My great-grandmother had the single-blossomed shrubs in her yard in southside VA. Unable to find them @ nurseries when I moved to piedmont NC, I collected seeds and was very successful with transplanting. I got the seeds mixed up and the resulting plants had some beautiful markings on the blossoms. I'm an avid lover of this shrub and due to relocation I'm having to start from scratch again. I would grow a yard-full if I could as they are a constant reminder of great-grandmother!

LuvsNature

On Apr 21, 2007, KyWoods from Melbourne, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Love the flowers! Unfortunately, the deer do, too. They bite off the whole top of the bush. They're supposedly deer-resistant, but I guess it depends on how hungry they are. LOL

On Apr 9, 2007, cocoajuno from Buckeye, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Cocoajuno, Marysville, WA

I love this plant and have just ordered 2 more. I have a 7 year old plant. It is white w/red eye. I do not have a problem with seeding or sprouting here,I wish I did as I would not have had to purchase more. Beautiful large bloom that lasts after everything else here has finished. I will save the seed for next year now.

On Oct 9, 2006, Sherlock221 from Lancaster, KY wrote:

These can be really beautiful and showy plants, but they can also be high maintenance. To keep them looking nice, you need to do some pruning, which should be done in early spring (not fall!!) since they bloom on this year's growth. Also, like lilacs, old weak growth inside should be pruned out to let light in. They respond well to hard pruning if they get out of control. I have 9 very large altheas of different varieties and have had good luck with all of them in Kentucky. They grow very rapidly and bloom profusely. One white variety I have is still blooming here and it's October! It has bloomed all summer and is still covered in flowers. One of mine is a "tree" althea, pruned to one main trunk. Be warned that Japanese beetles LOVE these bushes -- I have to constantly spray th... read more

On Oct 2, 2006, greatswede from Lincoln, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Our Rose of Sharon was planted about 6 months ago and doing pretty well. The flowers are mauve. It is planted in clay and gets sun most of the day plus a blast of hot afternoon sun. It has grown from 18 inches high to about 48 inches in that time. The irrigation is from a drip system.

I've found grasshoppers on it and many leaves chewed on. It also has a white edge on the leaves that looks like maybe a soil chemical balance, not sure. I haven't fertilized it for several months.

Today I saw a hummingbird going to the petals.

On Sep 20, 2006, janjan37 from Athens, WV (Zone 5b) wrote:

I just love Rose of Sharon! Here in Athens, WV they grow all over town. They are very low maintenance, and the flowers are beautiful. They bigger and messier they are, the better! Their wild nature just enhances their beauty. (The double flowered ones seem to be much smaller and neater though, if you don't like messy and wild.)

On Sep 6, 2006, daffyluvr from Piscataway, NJ wrote:

It may be pretty, but it self seeds and is highly invasive in my garden; except for the double variety which appears to be sterile. Very hard to prune and maintain a decent shape.

On Aug 24, 2006, hellnzn11 from Rosamond, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted bare root plants, one died the first year, one is in direct sun all day and is small and looks poor, the other is somewhat growing through another srub that has spread too far and that shrub shelters it from direct sun and it is blooming and thick and healthy and much taller than the little runt. In this zone I suggest a bit of shelter from the elements.

On Aug 14, 2006, beautifulchaos from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love the color variety and the blooms are very pretty. We just moved into a new neighborhood last summer and one of our neighbors has them growing as a hedge right on the edge of our shared fence line in the backyard, which has it's pros and cons.

I agree with some of you that are less than thrilled that they take so long to even start showing green. I have also had to pull up several seedlings. If I wait to long to yank them, they can be a challenge to get out of the ground.

I did save a few 'minis' and have plant them together in a pot. This way, I can have them out of sight when they aren't worth looking at and they won't get out of control; as far as, roots and/or height.

On Aug 9, 2006, terri_in_PA from Emmaus, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I started my Rose of Sharon from seeds, easy to grow.. Within a few years, i had nice shrubs. They can be invasive, with seedlings popping up everywhere.

On Jul 17, 2006, Drido from Heredia
Costa Rica (Zone 11) wrote:

I not have this plan but is very common where i live and I think is not difficult

On Jun 8, 2006, Jaimee from Farmington, MI wrote:

The Rose of Sharon is one of my very favorite garden plants! Its flowers are gorgeous. It's low-maintenance. And it doesn't grow too tall, so you can plant it anywhere. I just love my Rose of Sharons.

I notice some people complained about late flowering. I had that same problem for the first year or so after tranplanting the little trees. They don't seem to like to be moved, and it takes them a few years to adjust. After that, they're just stunning.

I have about 5 of these trees. I just love them.

On May 29, 2006, SeanTamanaha from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant grows well in Hawai'i. The blue-flower form is most common. It is also the flower of Korea where it is called "mugunghwa" which means "flower of immortality". China used to refer to Korea as "the land of magunghwa and fine gentlemen."

On May 26, 2006, JoieM from Portland, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I LOVE this plant!! I believe it is fairly old (taller than our house!) and thriving in part shade under the canopy of several tall cedar trees in acidic clay soil. It got its leaves in early to mid may and blooms from June through September profusely. We virtually neglect it and it consistently performs well. The only downside is the constant dropping of spent blossoms throughout the blooming season.

On May 8, 2006, torisebastian from Syracuse, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

It is very invasive, had lots of problems with it appearing every where in my yard in virginia. Plus, they always look so dead until mid summer then they burst to life.

The bees love the plant when it blooms and the birds like to pick at the buds. But when the flowers fall off, they look kinda gross and they're slippery when it rains.

It is pretty, especially since you can get all sorts of colors on one tree - pink, purple, white, but I still think it's too much of a pain to plant.

I have 2 small ones in my yard in NY now, they seem to be behaving so far, but I'm still not sold on them.

On May 6, 2006, struckcheon from Closter, NJ wrote:

Unbelievably irritatingly invasive. It self-seeds at a fantastic rate, and can be very hard to pull out the seedlings. Plus, it looks awful three-fourths of the time.
A junk bush and a weed, as far as I'm concerned.

On Apr 9, 2006, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have some here on my property that are over 30 years old. Mine have not spread from seed, but by suckering from the roots. Compared to privet and some others, I do not consider it invasive. The only problems with it are aphids which can easily be controlled by spraying. Mine are the all white variety. I think they are called "Diana".

On Mar 21, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Altheas do well in my garden in Houston. I can count on continous blooms from early spring until frost. Blooms are already open on March 20th. They are bothered by spider mites in really dry weather. I'm using a systemic inscetcide on them this year and will see how that goes. The new BLUE SATIN variety in not blue here, but more purple with a maroon throat. A disappointment as I was looking for a large flowered blue shrub.

On Mar 16, 2006, zzazzq from Madison, MS wrote:

One of my favorite plants here in central MS. One of the very last things to leaf out in the spring but grows well thereafter. I have several varieties, single and double. The single varieties that I have(I don't think they are of the goddess series) should self-sow, but that doesn't seem to be a big issue around here. One very nice thing about it is that it is not fussy about soils(we have lots of clay) except that it is susceptible to root rot so needs to have some winter drainage, and it seems to be quite drought tolerant. I rarely have to provide supplemental water to established plants. The bloom period is very long and the plants are in bloom often in the late summer when everything in the garden seems "tired" and I'm tired and don't feel like gardening much. Also will bloom o... read more

On Mar 16, 2006, meadowbird from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

too invasive -- I spent too much time pulling up new tiny trees all over my yard. I cut mine down

On Mar 9, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have this plant growing back of the border in part shade and it does very well! I would recomend it. This year I want to try pruning it back to see if I can get bigger flowers :)

On Feb 18, 2006, Sashagirl from Davenport, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had 2 purple Rose of Sharons that I dug out of my fence line as saplings, then transplanted to my huge western yard. they were gorgeous, and bloomed July through September every year. They were so beautiful that I didn't mind the daily clean-up of the fallen blooms, but the self-seeding nature was a pain. I finally, after 3 or 4 years, cut off every seed pod in the fall, to prevent re-seeding! I pruned the trees each year to a height of about 8 feet, with a nice symmetrical form. I lost them both after about 15 years, for no apparent reason. Do you think the yearly pruning could have had anything to do with this? There never appeared to be any infestation of any sort! Note that I pruned in early fall, when I took off seed pods. Any comments?
Deanna

On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a beautiful shrub that blooms over a long season, though it does take a long time to break dormancy in spring. My information says it is hardy in zones 5-10. Prune in spring and deahead, or blooms or flower size will diminish.

On Jan 11, 2006, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is grown successfully all over the Northern & Piedmont areas of Virginia - to the point of serious overuse in the landscape, thus my "neutral" rating.

I personally find it a rather unattractive-looking tree/shrub except while flowering, which occurs in late summer. The flowers do attract both hummingbirds & sphinx moths.

On Jan 10, 2006, myloden from Michigamme, MI (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have 5 growing in zone4a UP of Michigan. Bloom very late
mid summer but i love them!!!

On Nov 26, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant takes forever to leaf out and longer to flower - just before it is too cold for it in the fall. I gave mine away.

On Aug 23, 2005, salongirl from Anna, TX wrote:

I am having a problem with speckled white, red and brown teent tiny bugs on my purple Rose of Sharon Tree, there are tiny red eggs as well as microscopic tiny black dots on underside of leaves. These bugs appear on unopened buds and it looks like they are inhibiting them from opening fully. What could these bugs be and how do I rid the tree of them? This may be an obvious anwser, but i'm new to gardening and don't know what to do about the.

On Oct 3, 2004, purtykty from Wake Forest, NC wrote:

I have had problems with pests on my rose of sharons. Earlier in the summer, the Japanese Beetles were having a blast eating the developing blooms. Right now, there is a brown spot all over the buds and leaves ( a fungus?) with a pest I have never seen before. I have tried to get rid of them, but to no avail. The pest is sort of speckled white and red and brown (shaped like a stink bug) and there is tiny red eggs? or mites? on the buds as well. I have tried to find out by searching online, but have found no answer. They are inhibiting the blooming and appear to be killing the plant. Any ideas?

On Sep 23, 2004, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

A beautiful shrub with Hollyhock-type blossoms which
will always have a place in my garden. Unwanted sprouts grown from seeds dropped can be pulled out or mowed down with ease, or deadheaded on a regular basis.
Even better, allow them to sprout and then share with friends and neighbors.

Not for the fussy gardener, but an old fashioned delight
for those who wish to have a multi-purpose plant in their yard.

Prune the shrubs in a tree shape or allow them to sprawl, or cut them back into hedge shapes. Pruned plants produce larger bloom size.

On Sep 2, 2004, mcscience from Stony Brook, NY wrote:

It may be pretty, but it self seeds and is highly invasive in gardens on Long Island. No thanks!

On Sep 2, 2004, BudaRoni63 from Buda, IL wrote:

I LOVE this plant & it's blooms..... have been wondering about how to get more going, as my neighbor would like to plant a row of them. I'd also like to know how to start pruning it to look like a tree/topiary!!! If ANYONE had any info or ideas, please e-mail me at vkroeze2@mchsi.com .
I see you are able to start some from cuttings & seeds....... am wondering where the seeds come on the plant as opposed to the blossoms?? Any help out there?? Thanks in advance......

On Aug 14, 2004, Cobalt from Deer Lake, NL

Well, I'm from Eastern Canada zone 5 . I have been gardening for 10 years now. Along the way I received my 'Rose of Sharon'. I have yet to see it bloom and it has never exceeded 21/2 - 3 feet. Healthy in every other way so, I wonder what can I do to encourage growth and especially flowering. I have moved it's location 3 times now and it is currently in a large gardening barrell, sitting pretty on my sunny deck.

On Jul 20, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'll say mostly positive. Every spring I say I hate it when I am pulling up the hundreds of seedlings from my beds, but when it starts to bloom, you can't help but admire it. Mine is huge and came with the farm when we bought it 8 yrs ago. It looks old. I keep it pruned back some but it is still 10+ feet tall. It is the lavender one with a reddish eye. The other bad thing about it is that the Jap. Beetles and June Bugs LOVE this plant. The bees love it too and I even saw a humming bird feeding from it this week. I have a white one with a maroon eye that I dug up from our field a couple of summers ago.

I also have a mauveish/rose colored one that tried to come up thru my fence for years. I kept it cut down and forgot it one year and it grew and bloom with beautifully c... read more

On Jul 2, 2004, rjm484 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

I work for the Sacramento City Zoo and we Have the Rose of
sharon in various locations in the zoo.The purple is my favorite.I am currently growing two whites from a seed pod
for my own garden and waiting for the purple to pod for more
seed.

On Jun 26, 2004, NUDawn from Dallas, TX wrote:

my grandmother had this bush outside her bedroom door which was on the side of the house. She used it as a switch bush for us and believe me, it was a very hardy bush for her here in dallas texas.

On Jun 10, 2004, kathy123 from West Bridgewater, MA wrote:

I have planted two rose of sharon one white and one pink in my beautifully landscaped front yard. We live on a fairly quiet street, but there are many passersby walking dogs and coming home from work.

In my opinion, the Rose of Sharon shrub is an eyesore until it finally gets leaves in late spring/early summer (Zone 6). The location of my shrubs are in my front lawn and they look dead. I have to explain their appearance to those who wonder when I'm going to remove the "dead" tree from my lawn. It's kind of embarrassing.

A few people have said "But when they finally bloom it's worth the wait". This may be true, but to have two 5 foot shrubs in dormancy until early summer is not attractive in my front garden. I think I'll move them to the back yard, and re... read more

On Jun 6, 2004, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

These little trees or large shrubs are quite common where I am (Alabama) and have nice flowers like hibiscus. I find their growth rate good but they are very invasive and seedlings turn up everywhere! I got three from a relative's back yard. Sometimes I have heard them called Syrian hibiscus.

On May 30, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy to grow in this area and especially nice when trained to a single trunk.

I like the single trunk form, but lots of folk around here like them planted close together for a hedge effect.

Both forms do great. Altheas like lots of sunlight and bloom here around the first of June with repeats all summer.

On May 15, 2004, Mearlene from Salyer, CA wrote:

We have a Rose of Sharon in our back yard; it is over fifty years old. I know this because we have owned our place for forty years now and it was well established when we bought it. The tree has purple flowers on it and we have actually started another tree from seed. I think it is beautiful and as far as we know it is the only one around here. We live in the far northern part of California, approximately 100 miles from the Oregon border and 50 miles inland from the coast. For a long time we didn't know the name of the tree and no nursery around Eureka was able to help us out. Thank you for your database site.

On Apr 22, 2004, Desertmouse wrote:

I see all the notes from folks in other parts of the U.S. who are growing Rose of Sharon Hibiscus (Hibiscii ?). Well I am trying to grow one in CA. On the edge of the desert. I did some research to come up with this particular type and stuck it in the ground last fall. It has made it through a high desert winter, (dry with desicating winds). I had put one in the year before and it deceased. So now I'm carefully tending this one and it is doing well. About two feet tall at this time and the leaves are a healthy dark green and strong.
Don't know for sure the flower color, just as long as it's not white. I like vibrant colors in my garden.

On Oct 20, 2003, chrislyn from La Porte, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

They root well from cuttings...I have several in one gallon pots. Mine are blooming beautifully.

On Aug 26, 2003, Redeemer from New Boston, NH wrote:

I just bought a house that has several very large specimens of the double pink variety. They are on the West side of a South facing house, so they don't get full sun until 1 PM or later. They were the last item in the yard to leaf out. They have started blooming in the past several weeks. I haven't given them any additional water or fertilizer. They have dark and light pink double flowers. The bushes are 12'-15' tall. They are covered with blooms top to bottom.

On Aug 20, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tz
Be careful to not over water especially if it is planted in a heavy clay soil because it is susceptible to root rot. I lost several because I thought they needed water when the leaves yellowed. Now, I very seldom provide supplemental water and they do fine. They will become spindly and/or will not bloom if they do not receive enough sunlight. I especially like the double lavemdar and the single white with maroon center ones which seem to bloom better than the others (at least for me).

On Aug 6, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Pretty plant, easy to grow, large enough to be used as a small shrub, but small enough to be included in the back of the perennial garden. Pratically fool-proof to grow and comes in a range of colors and patterns, (flowers), including a near-true blue! (I garden in the Mid-Atlantic).

On Aug 6, 2003, dbkh wrote:

The "single" blossom of the Althea is IMHO much more attractive than the "double" rose like blossom of the Rose of Sharon. The sunnier the bushier. Easy to grow in rich garden soil, but is very sensitive harder clays.

On Aug 5, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

My sister, who lives in Centereach, NY, sent me two of these. (She did so because she didn't like it any more as it was too invasive.) The speed of growth was excellent, but it seemed to take forever to bloom. My patience brought me luck; one did bloom for me (finally). The flower was beautiful and because of that, I don't care if it becomes invasive!!

On Dec 27, 2002, annastar wrote:

I've noticed as it is getting cold that the rabbits like my Althea branches.

On Oct 23, 2002, MichelleMartin from McComb, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me two plants about 5 years ago. They were about 2ft tall, and now are 20 ft tall. And I now have over 250 plants from these two trees. They are very easy to grow. The seeds fall to the ground, or the wind blows them when they fall, and before you know it, you've got more plants. You will have enough to share with everyone. Very hardy trees/shubs, pruning is easy to remember...on Valentines Day. Very beautiful plant and so easy to keep up. When all else is dying, these plants are blooming beautifully!

On Aug 17, 2002, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Howdy folks. This is one of the easiest and most rewarding plants you could ask for. It easily propagates by seed. We have hedges of them. What a great plant for those of you who would like to get a fast-growing showpiece/hedge. If you know someone who grows these I'm sure they'll be more that willing to share. The seeds readily drop to the ground and easily send up young plants in the spring. These don't even need to be dug out, just grab hold of them and pull. They will easily come up so grab as many as you are allowed. When you get them home you'll find they root very easily; so easily in fact that many folks just take a large screwdriver (or something similar) and poke a hole in the ground, wallow it out, insert the young plant, water it, and stomp it down. If you keep it moi... read more

On Aug 12, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This shrub can be stooled to maintain compact growth. They come in a large variety of colors and bi-colors; some are single and others double. Doubles tend to be sterile, resulting in no unwanted seedlings. Newer hybrids are self-cleaning.

Full sun is required for best bloom, but will grow well in part to full shade. Some of the newer cultivars have variegated foliage.

On Jul 12, 2002, boyne4 from Boyne City, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I am in zone 4 and it has done great with loads of flower in mid to late summer.

On Mar 23, 2002, HibLady wrote:

Hibiscus syriacus is a deciduous small tree, doing quite well as a garden plant as far north as USDA Zone 5 or higher (if near a coast).

On Mar 21, 2002, Desarose wrote:

This shrub is deciduous in Zone 7. It does not leaf-out until late spring - early summer making it easy to forget it is there. However; the long blooming season provides a profusion of bright reminders of why you want to add it to your landscape. The majority of varieties are NOT self-cleaning and you need to remove dead blooms to encourage and prolong the blooming season.

On Sep 20, 2001, talinum from Kearney, NE (Zone 5a) wrote:

A shrub or small tree, with numerous upright branches, Althea reaches 8-12' tall and 6-8' wide. It is valuable for late-season flowers. Use in groupings, masses, shrub borders or hedges.

Flowers are single or double, white to red or purple or violet, or combinations, 2 to 4" across. Usually blooms July through September, depending on zone. Flowers are produced on new growth. Grows in about any soil except those that are extremely wet or dry. It does best in moist well-drained soils that are supplemented with peat moss, leaf mold or compost. Prefers hot weather; prune heavily in early spring, or prune back to 2 to 3 buds in spring to get large flowers.