PlantFiles: Beautyberry
Callicarpa 'Profusion'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Callicarpa (kal-ee-KAR-puh) (Info)
Cultivar: Profusion

Thumbnail #4 of Callicarpa  by Carkeekfish

Thumbnail #5 of Callicarpa  by Carkeekfish

Thumbnail #6 of Callicarpa  by Carkeekfish

Thumbnail #7 of Callicarpa  by mgarr

Negative ambersas On Jul 8, 2014, ambersas from Mount Vernon, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Though the plant is no doubt fine in a controlled environment, it can be VERY invasive. Yes, some birds eat the berries but it also travels by roots and can make huge colonies. I live on about 4 acres and have been fighting this pest for about 8 years now. It easily tolerates the heat and the droughts we have had in NE TX. It even comes back after the Spring freezes we had this Spring.
Yes, the berries are pretty and the plant even has a pleasant fragrance when leaves are brushed. But, unless it is controlled, it is INVASIVE .
My grandson who was helping me chop a lot of it back to the ground, broke out in a rash, like poison ivy, on his legs and arms. Being sensitive to PI myself, I am very cautious and watch for it constantly. This was beautyberry - not PI.

Positive Studio1RedBank On Oct 4, 2011, Studio1RedBank from Eatontown, NJ wrote:

This is a lovely, reliable, carefree bush that rewards in the spring with flowers and in the fall with these incredible purple berries providing great colour to an otherwise drab fall semi-shaded corner. It survives soggy years and drought equally as well. It does need periodic light trimming to keep it from getting leggy and I do it in the early spring.

Positive 100cyclist On Oct 3, 2011, 100cyclist from Newport Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

When I bought the plant at local nursery, it had beautiful berries in bloom. The following year, it got leggy VERY quickly, and had almost no bloom. I took a chance, and cut it back hard, and now I have a full shrub....really nice, and certainly an interesting plant for fall going into our mild CA winter.

Positive HydroPinke On Aug 16, 2011, HydroPinke from Burien, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant. I have had it in a container for about 2 years and its always been beautiful. Once of the last things in my yard to leaf out, its pretty slow.
It gets clusters of pink flowers at each node, not very showy, but they are profuse.
Then they transform into the most beautiful purple berries. The foliage turns to a nice bronze and the summer comes to an end. It makes a really nice contrast to the berries if they are both on the plant at the same time. I cant wait to propagate mine.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Callicarpa bodinieri 'Profusion' BEAUTYBERRY Dec (z6) (Cut,B&W,Bon)
Neat med-sized shrub noted for the deep rose-purple fall color of its long leaves & its clusters of lilac-purple fruits. Sun-PSh/Med

Positive isom On Sep 3, 2006, isom from Mission BC
Canada (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm rooting some cuttings from this shrub for my own garden. It grows at a friend's place in a group of 4. I think it's quite beautiful - not overly showy like some shrubs. But I like the subdued look that really shines when one gets close enough to take a better look.

The smaller leaves fill out nicely, providing a dense but still somewhat airy appearance. The individual flowers are tiny (even smaller than pink spirea) & the clusters of flowers aren't that large either so if you like big showy shrubs, this wouldn't be for you. Still, it's charming even as it is but when the berries turn a lovely lavender colour in the fall & practically shine once the leaves fall, it comes into its own & outdoes any other shrub at this time of year.

It looks so much nicer than rhodos or camellias that look sickly as the weather gets hot & dry. They look fresh & healthy at all times & when the frost comes, the leaves turn red & orange.

The cuttings are coming along well so they seem to root easily. It will probably be a few years before mine are big enough to make a show but I can say with pride, when they do, I raised them from mere sticks!

Neutral wallaby1 On Nov 26, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is supposed to have clusters of bright purple berries in the autumn. Plant bought as a plug from Mair & Thompson circa 1999. Quite quick to grow, can grow to a small tree if not pruned, I let this grow and then moved it to a sunnier spot, pruned it back to make it a little bushier. Also grew 2 new plants from it, easy to do from semi-ripe to ripe stems, as I have not yet had above a few small (not like you see in the garden centre) berries. I have read that these plants need a group of 3 in order to produce good berries, maybe I will get them when the other plants, growing with it, get a little more mature. This variety is supposedly meant to make berries on its own, still waiting.

I would like to come back and give it a positive! The flowers are a little different, leaves turn a light bronze in autumn but not long before they fall.

Bessemer, Alabama
Williamsburg, Virginia
Bellingham, Washington
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Olympia, Washington
Seattle, Washington (2 reports)
Madison, Wisconsin