Yellow Trumpet Vine, Yellow Trumpet Creeper
Campsis radicans 'Flava'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campsis (KAMP-sis) (Info)
Species: radicans (RAD-ee-kans) (Info)
Cultivar: Flava
Synonym:Campsis radicans var. flava

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By simple layering

Oregon City, Oregon

Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

West Chester, Pennsylvania

Clarksville, Tennessee (2 reports)

Cathcart, Washington

Poulsbo, Washington

On Jul 19, 2015, 2015sweetpea from Phenix City, AL wrote:

This is about the 3rd year since I planted the Yellow Flava vine. I noticed pods on them this year during in July and thought they held seeds. I googled it and found under Flava trumpet pods that the vines are very invasive and will strangle other plants & trees. Do you know if this is correct? I don't want it to harm my other plants in the garden. I have it on an arbor with a Jeykle Island Vine which is gorgeous and it's close to Lime Light Hydrangeas and Knock Out Roses. Any advise on experience with this vine will help. I can try moving it or get rid of it since it is hasn't been show vine compared to the other one. Thanks.

On Mar 3, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The flower color is not really yellow, except in comparison with the orange of the species---It's better described as a muted apricot. A very different and very beautiful color.

As with all Campsis radicans, plants may wait many years before deciding to bloom. Mine took 7 years.

On Jan 17, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

Handsome big vine, though it is rampant and aggressive growing and is best to have it sort of isolated in a landscape so it does not grab anything else, but the fence or trellis structure. It blooms on new growth, so it is best to prune it in early spring, and one can prune it very severly close to the ground and it will pop back and bloom in mid-summer.

On Aug 2, 2013, rosepetal2 from Danvers, MA wrote:

Picked up at a late season sale at local grower - both yellow and an orange trumpet vine. Both were blooming. I spoke with one of the older partners and asked him about the bloom problems some folks experience with these vines. He said the vines are slow to start and mature at 4-5 yrs depending on conditions. So they generally hold back stock for a couple years so that 3 year old plants are sold to the public to avoid bloom complaints. He also said contrary to common belief once established these vines thrive on neglect. He indicated over watering and fertilizing are the biggest problem because over watering causes root rot and nitrogen promotes root and leaf production. He even said soil that's been over amended encourage the vine roots to circle around in the rich soil rather than... read more

On Sep 12, 2011, kat_macleod from Ladner

Hello, I bought two yellow trumpet vines and planted the first one on the South West exposure (lots of sun). It grew and grew but no flowers. The second one, I planted against the west fence and didn't do so well, so I transplanted it a couple of months ago on the east side of the garden and it is growing nicely. However, no flowers and I am so frustrated because the look I was going for must have flowers. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

On Mar 19, 2011, DUSKYEAAGLEONE from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I LIVE IN PGH,PA, I PLANTED THESE YELLOW TRUMPET CREEPER LAST SUMMER AND I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT I NEED TO DO WITH THIS PLANT?? DO I NEED TO CUT THEM BACK AFTER THEY BLOOM OR JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE??. I LEFT THE VINE ALONE OVER THE WINTER AND I AM WONDERING IT THEY WILL BLOOM THIS YEAR OR ARE THAT DEAD?? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
THANK YOU.. DUSKYEAAGLEONE@VERIZON.NET

On Sep 5, 2009, terrirat from Snohomish, WA wrote:

My hummingbirds won't touch it.
It seems sugary to me, but I have tasted a bitterness in some of the flowers.
Ants love it.
Maybe this variety is not so tasty to hummingbirds.
I'll see what they think of my two other varieties when they are big enough to bloom,
hopefully next year.

On Aug 13, 2009, swamp_thing from Lake Arthur, LA wrote:

This vineing plant grows wild in southwest Louisiana, when in full bloom hanging from 300 year old oak trees it is a beautiful sight. The only color that grows wild that I have discovered so far is a dark to light orange.

SWAMP_THING

On May 23, 2008, crafty4 from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

I have had one for 4 years. I bought it with flowers on it and it hasn't had flowers since. It is in full sun and I have tried cutting it back to two branches, which the nursery suggested. It stays in bounds and looks nice though.

On Mar 17, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Campsis radicans 'Flava' YELLOW TRUMPET CREEPER Dec (z5) (Hum)
Every strong shoot of this vigorous self-clinging vine may have its bunch of rich yellow trumpets in a warm spot--a bright & welcome sight in fall; pinch the tips when young to encourage branching. Sun/Med

On Mar 4, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Although I love the vines, I've had positive experience with the orange flowers and wanted to have the yellow one. I ordered one from Inter-State Nurseries; they sent me a bare branch, without root and the size is about 1/4 that of a straw, in circumperence. 6" in lenght. What a disappointment!
In my zone 7b; its Orange cousin behave well in full sun. No runner roots, just perfuse blooms all trough Summer.

On Aug 18, 2005, TomH3787 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Grows fast and blooms a lot in mid to late summer but it's just as invasive as the orange form. I got this one by accident as a misidentified plant- was supposed to be Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' but clearly it isn't :-)

On Mar 20, 2005, frankford from East Lansing, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Flava has a very harmonizing color. The actual flower color is a pale gold. I like this color better than the more common bright orange. It may be a little slower to take off once planted. After it is fully established in a very sunny location ( takes about two years) it blooms quite well!

On Jun 14, 2004, 02mongoose from Pulaski, WI wrote:

I bought a Trumpet Creeper because I heard it attracts Hummingbirds like nothing else. I chose the flava (yellow) variety. It does a nice job along with the other humming bird friendly plants in my garden. It usually only get's one cluster of flowers on the whole plant, but the blossoms that it gets are big and beautiful. I have never gotten a rash from this plant. My dad is extremly alergic to poison ivy, and he has had no reaction to the trumpet creeper. It has never tried to take over my garden or the lawn. If you see ants on this plant, keep an eye out for aphids! They will keep the plant from flowering!

On Jun 2, 2004, OhioBreezy from Dundee, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have grown this yellow version for 11 years and it never seems to get out of control. It has not runnered underground for me, or took over anything. Hummingbirds love it as well. The color is such a pretty yellow.