Spider Lily
Hymenocallis speciosa

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hymenocallis (hy-men-oh-KAL-is) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)

Bulbs

Blanchard, Oklahoma

Summerville, South Carolina

On Apr 29, 2008, Fadel from Beirut
Lebanon wrote:

I have planted Sprider lily in Beirut, Lebanon and it is fabulous. Flower open daily at 5:00 p.m. in Beirut ( I guess it might be different in other locations) but it should be the same everyday. It takes around three minutes for a flower to open and if you are patient enough you can enjoy the slow motion of the petals. I have this seen spider lilies widely spread in Langkawi, Malaysia.

On Jan 3, 2005, Ispahan from Chicago, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a great plant, though I have to point out that most of the photos of this species seen on this page are mislabeled. Only those submitted by Evert appear to be correct. H. speciosa has petioled foliage similar to that of Eucharis. The other photos are of H. caribaea or another similar tropical species.

On Jul 7, 2004, homerdfw from Dallas, TX wrote:

I have this plant Spider Lily Hymenocallis speciosa for 10 years.
I take it with me what ever I live; I have it planted in from of my house small strip of dirt in between side walk and curb it dose real well, every person love it and ask about it they never seen this plant before and they want to know more about the plant, this year witch is the fifth year is totally Beautiful full of flowers so I search for the name of the plant because
Every person asks for the name witch I forgot now I know and I can tell them. I want to tell you about all this. Thank Omar D S

On Jun 24, 2004, Alexis1 from Galveston, TX wrote:

Having grown up + lived in the Great Lakes states then transplanted to Houston, TX...to discover the beauty of this delicate bulb is to watch in wonder of the beauty of nature. One bulb in a 3 gallon pot on the outside but protected patio ledge of our apartment took a good 6 months to sprout, become root bound and then flower! A joy to light up each day!

On Aug 8, 2002, haighr from Laurel, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

Planted the bulbs rather late (June 28) as an experiment for Touch of Nature. Plants bloomed in thirty days on July 30.
Very eye-catching blooms, but seem to fade rather quickly - within 8-10 days.

On Aug 8, 2002, Baa wrote:

An evergreen, perennial bulb from the West Indies.

Has oblong or strap like, mid-green leaves. Bears highly scented, white or green-white flowers borne in umbels of upto 12 flowers. The flower resembles a Narcissus with a large cup and 6 narrow petals, the anthers are attached to the edge of the cup.

Flowers anywhere between September - December

Loves a moist but well drained, fertile soil in full sun or partial shade. It hates winter wet and is best lifted from the borders before the frosts come. It can be easily grown in a warm greenhouse or house.

Sow ripe seed at 65-75F.

An easily grown and interesting bulb!