PlantFiles: Chinese Lanterns, Japanese Lanterns, Fringed Rosemallow, Waltzing Ladies
Hibiscus schizopetalus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: schizopetalus (ski-zo-pe-TAY-lus) (Info)

» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

By trois

Thumbnail #6 of Hibiscus schizopetalus by kennedyh

By aurinko
Thumbnail #7 of Hibiscus schizopetalus by aurinko

Positive Louannmc On Mar 20, 2013, Louannmc wrote:

SouthWest Louisiana I've had this wonderful plant in a large container for 5 years. Has frozen back several times, but has always returned. I tend to neglect it, but it's been very forgiving. The flowers are like something out of a book by Dr Suess. Beautiful, unique, and they always garner comments. I've shared cuttings off hard wood and off new growth. Both have done well. I highly recommend trying this one.

Neutral Jimspalms On Aug 20, 2011, Jimspalms from North Andrews Gardens, FL wrote:

We have this lovely hibiscus growing in the ground in our garden in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. It is from a cutting taken when the parent began to die several years ago. Now it is about 6 feet tall and flowers nearly every day. I first saw this beautiful flower in a garden in Key West and had to have one! They are difficult to come by, so when the parent began to die I panicked. The cuttings were not easy to maintain and it required a lot of TLC to get it to where it is today. Everyone who sees this plant's flowers comment on them. It is a real crowd pleaser!

Positive tropicallaporte On Aug 15, 2011, tropicallaporte from La Porte, TX wrote:

I have been growing this plant here in La Porte for over 7 years both in pots and in the ground. The freezes of 2010 & 2011 hurt one in the ground and did kill one other. The potted ones go into a protected garage when it gets cold so at worse they loose some leaves. When they start blooming in the spring they are a sight to see. The surviving one in the ground is slowing rebuilding its self and may not bloom this year.

I gave my brother in law one he put in the yard in Los Fresnos, TX and it is over 6 feet tall, 5 feet wide and and blooms like crazy down there. This is a great plant to have.

Positive foodiesleuth On Sep 13, 2010, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

A friend gave me a few cuttings of this plant and this morning one of the stems had an open bloom... Beautiful!
I'm looking forward to enjoying this plant for many years!

Positive rmontouri On Sep 23, 2009, rmontouri from Santee, CA wrote:

I brought one home from Kauai and it did well on my backyard deck in a large pot for a few years. I moved it for more sun, then the drought caught up with it. I had planned to put it in the ground once it developed a more mature trunk and some bulk, since hibiscus generally do well here (occasional critter flare-ups aside). Lovely lantern flowers, good color contrast with the leaves. Will likely try again, though I'm going predominantly drought tolerant now.

Positive DonnaA2Z On Oct 22, 2008, DonnaA2Z from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've just received this plant so I can't say a lot about it. The blooms face downward dangling from a thin stem. A very unique plant.

Positive AmandaTaylor7 On Jul 19, 2008, AmandaTaylor7 from Alvin, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a gorgeous plant that blooms very well for me here just south of Houston, Tx. And I don't know why it says they only get 36 inches tall on here - that's false. I have one in my backyard that is a 3rd year plant and is currently 7 1/2 feet tall and still growing. I've also read online where people have said they've grown theirs like trees and had them reach 10-12 feet in overall height.

A gorgeous, small bloom is produced from this ancestral hibiscus whose feathered petals curl backward forming a ball-shaped flower by the middle of the day. It is very stunning and hangs downward from branches on curved extensions. It is a plant that requires patience. In my experience, tons of fertilizer doesn't help the blooming, but rather leaving the plant alone is better (outside of regular watering). Came right back after being in the ground and losing all of it's leaves this past winter as well.

Positive timrann On May 8, 2007, timrann from Other
Mauritius wrote:

This species is very popular in the tropics as in Mauritius.It is used as borders or hedges mostly and also a very good support (base)for grafting others species of hibiscus.It is also fed to animals (for e.g when the hedges are pruned). Never seen it in nurseries other than in support for other hibiscus, considered as to banal maybe.

Positive SierraTigerLily On Jun 2, 2006, SierraTigerLily from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I planted two behind our fountain this spring in hopes they would eventually grow tall enough to drape over the top and soften the rock lines. It's now June and they're already three feet high! Such fast growth!

One year later and they're over twelve feet tall. I'm now training them over an arbor.

Positive MotherNature4 On May 7, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have been growing this hibiscus in our yard for at least 20 years. It has been killed back on the rare occasions when we have a hard freeze, but it recovers quickly. The flowers are charming and dainty.

Positive fripperies On Jun 25, 2003, fripperies from Hempstead, NY wrote:

My Hibiscus schizopetalus is my favorite houseplant. It grows in the southwest corner of a heated sunporch with skylights, on Long Island. It's about 8 ft tall, 4 ft wide, and gets pruned back to that size every fall, after spending the summer outside in full sun. It requires almost daily water in the summer.

It is a winter's delight! It blooms from November until it is pruned in September, most heavily during the dreariest months of winter. It has ordinary potting soil, is watered generously once a week, and is fed only a couple of times a year.

It's growth habit is a bit leggy, but those long arching branches are quite graceful. The leaves are smaller and lighter in color than the common Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, more like syriacus. And the flowers take your breath away.

This plant is about 20 years old, and was grown from a rooted cutting from Logee's Greenhouses in Connecticut.

Neutral aurinko On Jun 11, 2003, aurinko wrote:

I have been growing this plant as an indoor plant and I have to say that it will grow remarkably higher than the given 60-90 cm. It will reach at least 3 meters height if left unpruned.

Neutral soil, pH 5,5-7 is OK. Does fine in light shade, prefers a sunny spot on window sill. Is not very attractive, unless pruned regularly. (Looks somewhat like fishing rod...) Needs a lot of water.

Orange, California
Rancho Mirage, California
Santa Ana, California
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bradenton, Florida
Fort Pierce, Florida
Naples, Florida (2 reports)
New Port Richey, Florida
Ocoee, Florida
Odessa, Florida
Rockledge, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Seffner, Florida (2 reports)
Tampa, Florida (2 reports)
Venice, Florida