Chitalpa
X Chitalpa tashkentensis 'Pink Dawn'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: X Chitalpa (ky-TAL-puh) (Info)
Species: tashkentensis (tosh-ken-TEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Dawn

By budding

Lincoln,

Golden Valley, Arizona

Maricopa, Arizona (2 reports)

Yuma, Arizona

Waco, Texas

Lindon, Utah

Lexington, Virginia

On Aug 18, 2014, 2blackdogs from Eastham, MA wrote:

We purchased a Chitalpa 'Pink Dawn' several months ago and it has done very well so far. It is now twice its original height. We live in Massachusetts on Outer Cape Cod and have had pretty good luck with almost everything we plant. The Chitalpa is planted in an eastern exposure, plenty of sun, and we water every day. Since they grow to a height of 25-30', can we keep it pruned to a lower height so that it won't overtake our garden area. It's about 4' high now and had lovely pink orchid-like flowers when it bloomed earlier this summer. We really like this lovely tree and would like to keep it 'contained.' Thank you for any advice.

On Jun 16, 2013, duvalderay from Boise City, ID wrote:

Chose to plant a 'Pink Dawn' Chitalpa in lieu of a Desert Willow due to its superior cold hardiness. In the second, third and fourth years, the plant proved to be only root hardy. I thought the gravel mulched bed may have been contributing to it dying back to the ground each year, but this year it rebounded and is looking like it might actually become a tree. Not sure why it rebounded as last winter actually was colder than the previous winter. I really want my Chitalpa to become a tree as its flowers are spectacular (July to first frost).

On Dec 29, 2012, edwsch from Ridgecrest, CA wrote:

This plant v. 'Pink Dawn' is on recommended plant list of Indian Wells Valley Water District Ridgecrest California which is considered High Desert Area Zone 8a-9a.

On Jun 16, 2012, ScarletRed from El Paso, TX wrote:

I see many of these growing in the El Paso area, they have blooms from early spring till our "winter" months. They like sand and do not require much watering which is evident by them spreading into the desert.

I actually dug two up from the desert and planted them into my yard. They grow fast as well. I noticed that the ones in the desert have a much darker purple color flower and a rough bark compared to those which live in people's yard or city landscape where they receive regular water. In fact the ones I got fom the desert have lighter flowers now in their new home and a smoother bark than their rough gnarly barked relatives still in the desert.

They have a tap root system that goes quite deep. Even the very small specimen I got was a struggle to remove de... read more