Early, Large-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Guernsey Cream'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Guernsey Cream

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Single

Bloom Diameter:

Medium - 2 to 5 inches (5 to 12 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Willis, Texas

Amelia Court House, Virginia

Parkersburg, West Virginia

On Jun 1, 2014, bottlegreen from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

Third year in the garden, and the first time it's been really noticeable. I wouldn't call it "late" or "yellow." This is the earliest of my clematis and the flowers are creamy-white, very lovely.

On Jan 9, 2008, Memphis_Aggie from Memphis, TN wrote:

This is a very beautiful and reliable clematis. It flowers twice a year, once dramatically in mid spring and again in the fall more sporadically until the frost sets it back. It took two years for it to fill my trellis. I have mine in part shade here in 7b.

On Jul 1, 2007, davidlh from Pleasant Hill, MO wrote:

This plant was very small when planted last summer. It grew well but didn't put on a lot of "wood." I did not trim it as label suggests. This spring it came on with a vengeance. We had a very late freeze here in Missouri. Everything died on the plant--I thought. Three weeks after the freeze it was in full leaf with 6-8 flowers. Since then it has quit flowering but is growing aggressively. Will wait to see if it blooms again late summer to early fall. 10 inches of mulch over roots, pelletized lime yearly and starter fertilizer (12-12-12-) seems to work. Plant is in minimal shade in a west side garden.
DLH-Pleasant Hill, Missouri

On May 8, 2007, francesseth from Evanston, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I just planted this beautiful clematis today. I bought it at a local small nursery. I did not go there to buy a clematis. However, it was so lovely, I couldn't resist. It looks white, not yellow. It was about $19, which I consider expensive. I will have more to say about it in the fall or next year. I planted it by several dead climbing rose canes which make a perfect trellis.

On Feb 12, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought this plant several years ago at a nearby nursery. I'm always skeptical when checking out new plants, so I like to double check all the information on the plant label, and make sure someone hasn't switched labels. After planting it grew very little (late summer), and went into fall without blooming. But the following spring near Memorial Day it put on a gorgeous show of two very large creamy white flowers, followed by more buds and blooms in June. I have it on a wrought iron trellis where it reaches 4-5' in height, and this is about what I need in this spot. Very nice!