Arizona Cypress, Smooth Cypress
Cupressus glabra 'Blue Ice'

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cupressus (koo-PRESS-us) (Info)
Species: glabra (GLAY-bruh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Ice
Additional cultivar information:(aka Blue Pyramid)
Synonym:Cupressus arizonica var. glabra

Ashland, Oregon

Salem, Oregon

Ambler, Pennsylvania

Knoxville, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Moody, Texas

Lexington, Virginia

Burlington, Washington

Lummi Island, Washington

On Dec 22, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My little tree was a Walmart bargain, at $1 for one little stick. It is a slow grower but not very demanding. It is very blue and stands out among other greens.

On Oct 24, 2011, LipLock from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this tree. I planted my first one about 2 years ago. It was about 5' tall and now it's doubled in size. It's drought tolerant, thrives in the heat and has no known issues. I'll always have it in my garden.

On Mar 30, 2010, starzer from Golden, CO wrote:

I live at 6200ft. in Golden, CO and have had my original Arizona cypress (? cultivar) for 5 years. It is happily putting on more than a foot a year with our average 15" annual rainfall. I have added 3 "Blue Ice" cultivars over the last 4 years, and all have thrived. They are not broused by the native deer and elk. The color of "Blue Ice" is stunning year-round.

On Feb 12, 2010, cubancook from Miami, FL wrote:

I planted my Arizona Cypress about five years ago. I live in North Miami,Florida.
The tree has surpassed my expectations. It is now about fifteen feet tall and very full and beautiful. The only thing I worry about is that it has not grown in a cone like manner. The tree is very fat and is now almost overtaking the near by trees I had planted not so close to it. I am wondering if it can be pruned to a more pyramidical shape.

On Nov 25, 2008, scotjute from Moody, TX wrote:

This tree needs little care : weekly watering the first year and the next year about every other week if you feel like it. After that I water only monthly if in a drought. Mine have grown about 18" year. Beautiful blue-gray-green color. Distinctive cone shaped tree with no pruning. Good for screening, shade, or specimen use. Grow in soil with pH to 8.0. Full sun. Well-drained location. Full height of these is supposed to be 30' +.

On Jun 1, 2008, nikeguy1618 from Frankfort, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had this tree for 2 years now and I live in zone 5b. It suffers some winter burn and dieback but it does quite well nevertheless.