Arizona Cypress, Smooth Cypress, Smooth-barked Arizona Cypress 'Carolina Sapphire'

Cupressus glabra

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cupressus (koo-PRESS-us) (Info)
Species: glabra (GLAY-bruh) (Info)
Cultivar: Carolina Sapphire
Synonym:Cupressus arizonica var. glabra

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Sherman, Texas

Newport News, Virginia

Langley, Washington

On Mar 20, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This cultivar is said to be bluer and faster growing than 'Blue Ice'. Requires excellent drainage in eastern N. America.

Dirr says in the humid climate of the southeastern US these are at best short-lived. Better long-term performance in western N. America, where it can reach 40-50'.

On Mar 20, 2015, kfore from Lillington, NC wrote:

I planted 2-3 foot tall trees in 2006. Now well over 20 feet tall!
Have had only one problem and that was bagworms last summer. I didn't think carolina sapphires were known to have insect problems, but this may be due to an over planting of Leyland cypress in my neighborhood, may also be the result of my own negligence of not spraying with horticultural oil late in the winter.
I moved to a new house in the same area with absolutely no plants on the lot and 3 carolina sapphires were my first purchase. They are fast growing and wonderful at screening undesirable views. They make a beautiful blue backdrop to other lower plantings. They are very fragrant, but don't have the typical pine smell.
These are beautiful, fast growing trees that don't seem to be weak due to the... read more

On May 19, 2011, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is an astoundingly gorgeous tree. I'm talking beauty of a jaw-dropping, "Are you kidding me?"-inducing nature. The tips of the leaves are a frosty blue, and the bark is a sexy, shiny, orangey brown. The branching structure is a gorgeous conical shape, with just a tiny bit of "floppy" character to make it not look like a fiberglass Christmas tree. It almost looks like a geyser of light blue paint shooting up from the ground, perpetually frozen in time for all to admire. Almost every plant buff who sees it will swear that it's a juniper, as I did when I first saw it; it still kind of boggles my mind that it's a cypress. Its varietal name, 'Carolina Sapphire,' leads many people (even nursery owners around here) to believe it is native to the Carolinas, when in fact it was just "dev... read more

On Dec 13, 2010, palebo7 from Dallas, TX wrote:

Cupressus glabra or arizonica 'Carolina Sapphire' is far and away one of the most commented on plants in my garden, due to its' silvery blue foliage. I planted my first 6, planted as 15 gal 5'-6' ht, in fall 2007, as a screening mass to hide my neighbors unsightly roof ( our house sits about 50 feet from the property line and 10-12 feet above the neighbors). In Dec 2010 they are more than double in ht, and have completely filled in. Seems to be very drought tolerant.
The only bad issue is a huge wets snow fall Dallas received in winter 2010 and the branches were heavily stressed and required going out to shake of the snow - I'm sure ice damage will be hazardous.
They, along with Nellie R Stevens planted at the same time, are the backbone to a perennial test bed. My fave cont... read more

On Dec 14, 2008, Lakeside3 from Jacksonville, NC wrote:

I purchased three 'Carolina Sapphire's' early spring 08, they stood three feet ht. and looked scronny, now it is winter 08; they have quickly filled-in and grown four inches taller. During the summer in zone 8, facing southwest the Silvery-Blue hue of the foliage is incrediable, but as winter rolls in the colors fades to a sea-green as these pictures will reveal.

On Mar 6, 2008, scotjute from Moody, TX wrote:

This tree is drought resistant once established. Insists on well-drained soil. A nice addition to the yard, and can become a very striking tree.

On Apr 22, 2005, Hase1 from Denton, TX wrote:

I'm a little confused now. The tag that came with my plant said: Cupressus arizonica "Carolina Sapphire" so is mine now a Cupressus arizonica or a Cupressus glabra. If it's the same plant, please see my remarks under C. arizonica.