Variegated Winter Daphne, Fragrant Daphne 'Aureo-Marginata'

Daphne odora

Family: Thymelaeaceae
Genus: Daphne (DAF-nee) (Info)
Species: odora (oh-DOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Aureo-Marginata
Additional cultivar information:(aka Marginata)

Grow outdoors year-round

Stafford, Virginia

Anacortes, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Quilcene, Washington

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 10, 2015, lfunnyfarm from Buford, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Winter daphne is a nice looking, evergreen shrub that produces exquisite smelling flowers in January/February (zone 7b or 8a).

From what I've read, daphnes are considered to be a finicky plant. They like part shade and alkaline soil, which is why mine have done well up against the foundation of my house. I think the leachate from the foundation causes an increase in the pH of the soil.

Unfortunately, one of the two daphnes that I have just started wilting and dropping leaves and now, after only two weeks, looks like it will be dead very soon. The other one is perfectly fine. These shrubs are between ten and twenty years old. There have been no cultural changes or severe weather changes here.

On Sep 2, 2011, fixpix from Oradea
Romania wrote:

I think I got this in my garden. Am just not that happy about it.
Still very few leaves on it even now, at end of summer. All crammed at end of branches.
Flowers... well, really early spring blooms, but I think they were attacked by cold. Very few managed to open.
This pic was taken april 6, 2011.

Just doesn't look like most pictures... leaves and flowers at the same time.

On Mar 19, 2011, NWSeattleite from Seattle
United States wrote:

Great plant! Despite its reputation for being unpredictable in nature, I've had wonderful luck with this plant, as well as other Daphnes.

I've planted 8 of this variety in a wide range of soils and exposures (sand, heavy clay, sea water exposure) and all seem to thrive. And the scent is heavenly!

On May 12, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I have three of these. One, in full shade, has attractive foliage but doesn't bloom. The one in part shade blooms moderately. By the front door, in full sun and poor soil, I have one that blooms profusely from February until May, and has spread to about 3 feet tall and 6 feet wide. The smell is heavenly for about 20 feet in all directions and makes winter feel like spring. It gets no summer water and doesn't mind at all.

On Mar 29, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Reputed to be both hardier and more fragrant than the species daphnes.

On Jun 10, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Winter daphne is one of the very few things I like about winter (am no snow-bunny!). Despite reading (after I bought it) that it can be hard to grow, our Daphne has grown into a real show-stopper!

We planted one about 15 years ago, and it is now about 12 feet around and about 5 feet tall. When it blooms (feb-march), you can smell it from 100 yards.

On Mar 2, 2006, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta, GA - I bought three small plants last fall and they are all blooming now. I could not resist cutting a flower and bringing it in to admire closeup - then after the blooms had faded I thought "hmmm - put the cutting in a pot under my seed lights?" Now - in just a couple of weeks - I have two very sturdy little plants making nice green growth. Very satisfactory! I plan to do a few more... I have just regular shop lights.

On Apr 4, 2005, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Incredible fragrance almost gets lost in our large yard, but still worth it. Long bloom period in early spring and attractive evergreen, glossy foliage are added bonuses for this plant.