PlantFiles: Japanese Blueberry Tree
Elaeocarpus decipiens

Family: Elaeocarpaceae
Genus: Elaeocarpus (el-lee-oh-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: decipiens (de-SIP-ee-enz) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pale Pink

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By arcadon

Thumbnail #5 of Elaeocarpus decipiens by growin

By growin
Thumbnail #6 of Elaeocarpus decipiens by growin

Neutral jacan202 On Jun 15, 2014, jacan202 from Greatwood, TX wrote:

We love our Japanese blueberry trees we planted as landscape around our pool. They are hearty and beautiful. However, during this 3rd year, one of them is blooming with the little white flowers, and they are making our pool a nightmare! How long will the shedding of these pesky blooms last? I'd like to be able to swim without being covered in the flowery mess!

Negative bigel On Feb 27, 2013, bigel from San Marcos, CA wrote:

The roots are large and damaged my patio concrete. It creates littler on my patio all year. First the seeds, then the flowers and finally leaves, even though it's evergreen. The seeds propagate constantly. It is pretty and provides decent shade. It might be better in a different location.

Positive Mellie7950 On Feb 26, 2012, Mellie7950 from Round Rock, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I also live in Round Rock, Tx, and have 2 of these in my garden. They were damaged by the frost in February 2011, but are coming back nicely. I love these trees. I contacted an arborist who suggested I leave them alone for the rest of 2011 and then prune them back in early 2012. Maybe that helped them return. We will see how they do this year.

Positive heckabore On May 18, 2011, heckabore from Walnut Creek, CA wrote:

We planted this tree about 7 years ago as an experiment to see how it would do in a naturalized setting, along with pines, cedars, and toyon. It looks great and needs no special care other than trimming the bottom branches, since the deer love it.

Neutral latorap On Mar 30, 2011, latorap from Austin, TX wrote:

I'm in Round Rock, Tx also and having no luck with this tree. I'm afraid it's dead from the freeze this year. How can I be sure?

Neutral earthwolf On Mar 7, 2010, earthwolf from Round Rock, TX wrote:

Round Rock, Tx. is slightly North,I believe, of zone 8b. These beautiful trees do not seem to tolerate the Winter's when we have severe low temps. for our area.(upper 20's) The damage is more than 90% of most plants observed. Time in ground of observed plants : 5 years to 6 months. Plants that were covered with freeze cloth suffered 50% damage. Plants in pots,not covered with freeze cloth, from 15 gallon and up, and slightly protected from full N. wind, and watered well prior to freezes, suffered average 25% damage. As a professional, I do not believe this plant is a good choice for our area...sadly so..as it is Beautiful .

Positive Shoecraft On Jun 17, 2006, Shoecraft from Mount Pleasant, SC wrote:

Grows very well in full sun. Requires average water needs - once maybe twice per week in the summer. Does not stay deep green in the winter below 30 degrees (DEC/JAN). Beautiful flowers start by late June and early July.

Positive FLtropics On Jun 18, 2005, FLtropics from Pompano Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Mine has been growing beautifully in full sun. It requires water about twice a week in dry months and once a week in summer if it doesn't rain. The leaves turn red when they are old. New growth is light green.

Kennedy, California
Orangevale, California
San Marcos, California
Walnut Creek, California
Deland, Florida
Dunnellon, Florida
Maitland, Florida
Ocala, Florida (2 reports)
Orlando, Florida (2 reports)
Pompano Beach, Florida
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Katy, Texas (2 reports)
La Vernia, Texas
Round Rock, Texas
Sugar Land, Texas (2 reports)