Japanese Blueberry Tree
Elaeocarpus decipiens

Family: Elaeocarpaceae
Genus: Elaeocarpus (el-lee-oh-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: decipiens (de-SIP-ee-enz) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pale Pink

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Kennedy, California

Orangevale, California

San Marcos, California

Walnut Creek, California

Deland, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Maitland, Florida

Ocala, Florida (2 reports)

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

Katy, Texas (2 reports)

La Vernia, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas (2 reports)

negative

On Jun 15, 2014, jacan202 from Greatwood, TX wrote:

We love our Japanese blueberry trees we planted as landscape around our pool. They are hearty and beautiful. However, during this 3rd year, one of them is blooming with the little white flowers, and they are making our pool a nightmare! How long will the shedding of these pesky blooms last? I'd like to be able to swim without being covered in the flowery mess!

On Feb 27, 2013, bigel from San Marcos, CA wrote:

The roots are large and damaged my patio concrete. It creates littler on my patio all year. First the seeds, then the flowers and finally leaves, even though it's evergreen. The seeds propagate constantly. It is pretty and provides decent shade. It might be better in a different location.

On Feb 26, 2012, Mellie7950 from Round Rock, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I also live in Round Rock, Tx, and have 2 of these in my garden. They were damaged by the frost in February 2011, but are coming back nicely. I love these trees. I contacted an arborist who suggested I leave them alone for the rest of 2011 and then prune them back in early 2012. Maybe that helped them return. We will see how they do this year.

On May 18, 2011, heckabore from Walnut Creek, CA wrote:

We planted this tree about 7 years ago as an experiment to see how it would do in a naturalized setting, along with pines, cedars, and toyon. It looks great and needs no special care other than trimming the bottom branches, since the deer love it.

On Mar 30, 2011, latorap from Austin, TX wrote:

I'm in Round Rock, Tx also and having no luck with this tree. I'm afraid it's dead from the freeze this year. How can I be sure?

On Mar 7, 2010, earthwolf from Round Rock, TX wrote:

Round Rock, Tx. is slightly North,I believe, of zone 8b. These beautiful trees do not seem to tolerate the Winter's when we have severe low temps. for our area.(upper 20's) The damage is more than 90% of most plants observed. Time in ground of observed plants : 5 years to 6 months. Plants that were covered with freeze cloth suffered 50% damage. Plants in pots,not covered with freeze cloth, from 15 gallon and up, and slightly protected from full N. wind, and watered well prior to freezes, suffered average 25% damage. As a professional, I do not believe this plant is a good choice for our area...sadly so..as it is Beautiful .

On Jun 17, 2006, Shoecraft from Mount Pleasant, SC wrote:

Grows very well in full sun. Requires average water needs - once maybe twice per week in the summer. Does not stay deep green in the winter below 30 degrees (DEC/JAN). Beautiful flowers start by late June and early July.

On Jun 18, 2005, FLtropics from Pompano Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Mine has been growing beautifully in full sun. It requires water about twice a week in dry months and once a week in summer if it doesn't rain. The leaves turn red when they are old. New growth is light green.