PlantFiles: Golden Columnar European Beech
Fagus sylvatica 'Dawyck Gold'

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fagus (FAG-us) (Info)
Species: sylvatica (sil-VAT-ee-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dawyck Gold

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Chartreuse/Yellow
Good Fall Color

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors
By grafting

By growin
Thumbnail #1 of Fagus sylvatica by growin

Positive bobbieberecz On Jun 14, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I bought a rather large specimen of this tree (about 15 to 18 feet tall) about 5 years ago. I watered it well the first year but not so much the second. I counted on the long months of western Washington winter rains to get the root system going but for such a large new tree it wasn't enough. It lost almost all of its leaves in early August so I frantically started watering and it grew a few of them back. The next year it was completely undamaged and fully leafed out. It grows about 18 inches a year and i give it a decent soaking of 2 inches of water in a 6 to 8 foot diameter. It seems to be thriving. I have sandy loam soil that dries out quickly in our hot drought months. Where it's planted used to be a vegetable garden heavily amended with straight chicken manure making it much heavier than the surrounding soil. It has medium green leaves with bright chartreuse new growth each spring. I love that look as well as the strong and columnar shape amongst so many rounder "fluffy" trees and shrubs. The deer haven't touched it. I put a 3 inch mulch on it this year to keep the water at it's roots as much as possible. No special treatment other than the water. No problem so far with aphids.

Louisville, Kentucky