White Ash
Fraxinus americana 'Autumn Purple'

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fraxinus (FRAK-si-nus) (Info)
Species: americana (a-mer-ih-KAY-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Autumn Purple
Additional cultivar information:(aka Autumn Purple, Junginger)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Cream/Tan

Silver/Gray

Inconspicuous/none

Burgundy

Good Fall Color

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Georgetown, Kentucky

Orem, Utah

positive
negative

On May 15, 2012, Foxdog from West Sacramento, CA wrote:

I have four Autumn Purple ashes outside my bedroom windows on the west side of my house. I planted them in 2001and they are now about 30 feet tall. I have planted over 500 trees on my property and they are one of the most beautiful. They are really easy to take care of and are a great shade tree. They do not have invasive top roots like some other shade trees and I have had no problems with bores in them or any other problem. I was very surprised to see any negative comments about them. They are easy to prune and their shape is oval to round. If you want a perfect shade tree this is it!!

On Mar 30, 2012, roark1138 from Saint Louis, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Overall a nice shade tree. Interesting leave shape and overall oval/pyramid tree shape.

Grows fast --- 16-24" a year. Bought mine at 10' and it's doubled in height and width in 6 years.

Large green leaves in the summer turn to gorgeous deep purple in the fall.

Two complaints: it's the last tree to leaf out in the spring and the first to lose its leaves in the fall. There are leaves on this tree 7 months of the year tops!

Also, I treat yearly with a systemic insecticide to protect against Emerald Ash Borer, but nevertheless I find myself worrying about it often during spring, summer, and fall. For the reason alone, I would not buy this tree again.

On Feb 24, 2006, Tir_Na_Nog from Houston
United States (Zone 9b) wrote:

Wow, this tree is gorgeous. But when I researched it I found there is a new non-native borer that is eating these at a rapid pace starting from the north. Here's what my friend in Michigan had to say about them when I asked:

"The emerald ash borer is a big deal here! No one can transport firewood within the state so even if I have some great pine or something to take up north for my fire pit when camping, I can't take it--risk big fine and the bug being transported to a new area. Tons, and I mean tons, of trees were cut down this past year here in Saginaw because of the ash borer and the DNR trying to stop its progression."