PlantFiles: Appleblossom Grass
Gaura lindheimeri 'Pink Cloud'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaura (GOW-ra) (Info)
Species: lindheimeri (lind-HY-mer-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Cloud

Thumbnail #6 of Gaura lindheimeri by sunkissed

By sunkissed
Thumbnail #7 of Gaura lindheimeri by sunkissed

Positive lancer23 On Sep 4, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

My Plant came with a tag that said" Gaura" and no other info.
I was very please with the year round wand like flower. It moves in the wind like a boat on water. I got a lot of compliments from neighbors.
Its a short lived Perennial; the first one died 3 yrs after I planted it. The main stem just got very woody and then all dried up like most lavender do. So luckily I've propagated cuttings so I get fresh new plants every yr not knowing how long the plant will continue to age. Insects loves the flower, got bees and all kinds of flies hoovers all the time.

Positive SaffronMonsoon On May 16, 2011, SaffronMonsoon from Aubrey, TX wrote:

This plant is so pretty. It is very drought tolerant which is a must for Texas summers. I planted one last year and it has tripled in size, so I planted three more. Pretty color to add to any landscape.

Positive sunkissed On Jan 10, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have one of these plants I bought two seasons ago and put in a large outdoor clay pot with other plants. It adds such a waterfall of background color to the pot. When it seems to be getting too leggy, I cut is all the way down and it shoots new long stems of flowers again. Even without the flowers the foliage is pretty with a tinge of red in the green leaves. The best thing is it survives over winter with temperatures as low as 27. I've even moved it from one pot to another and did just fine. I'm going to get more this year as soon as I see them in the nurseries. Mine were tagged "Gaura lindheimeri" and Pink Lady as common name. But the pot said "Apple blossom grass, pink butterflies. So who knows but my pictures are posted and it looks the most like this variety.

Positive trackinsand On Apr 12, 2010, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

evergreen, even during extended cold/frosts/freezes (florida type cold). i love this plant and would never be without it. it can take whatever i throw at it and never skip a beat.

i want to add that gaura is prone to tiny metallic beetles. a mature plant will survive the onslaught but a young plant needs help. the only thing i found that kills the beetles and keeps them off long enough for the plant to regain strength is spectracide fire ant killer. i try to be organic as much as possible but sometimes a pest calls for drastic measures. this is the time. i throw a handful on the plant and water in lightly.

Positive passiflora_pink On Dec 18, 2007, passiflora_pink from Shelby County, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted my Gaura 'pink cloud' in March, 2007 in bloom. As I make this entry in December following a hard freeze it is still blooming! This summer We had the worst drought in my lifetime. In August we had 14 consecutive days over 100 degrees in Alabama but it kept on going with deadheading of spent blossoms. Highly recommended!

Positive tiffanya On Jul 4, 2006, tiffanya from Sumner, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have two of these. Each year I cut them all the way down to the ground and they come back full-force the following year. Some may not like the "wildflower" appearance (e.g., my neighbor thinks its a weed), but the flowers look like pretty butterflies swaying in the wind. Spreads (via roots) so you may notice it expanding in its planted area.

Pelham, Alabama
Dracut, Massachusetts
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Aubrey, Texas
Entiat, Washington
Freeland, Washington (2 reports)
Port Angeles, Washington