Avens, Geum 'Blazing Sunset'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geum (JEE-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Blazing Sunset
Additional cultivar information:(aka Double Bloody Mary)
Synonym:Geum flore plena

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Springdale, Arkansas

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Battle Ground, Washington

Chimacum, Washington

On Jul 27, 2013, Kath245 from CHIMACUM, WA wrote:

This has been a champion for me in western Washington. It has bright red double flowers held waving 2 ft above pretty medium green foliage. In it's second year it has bloomed continuously from mid May to late July and is still going strong. I do deadhead and that may keep the bloom going longer. It is in mostly sun & survives with only occasional water.

On Jul 7, 2013, pamelamary from South Yarmouth, MA wrote:

I bought this plant in June (I live on Cape Cod, Mass) because it was so brilliant orange,..then it slowly collapsed, lost all bloom and the foliage turned brown.
Seeing it wasn't happy, I moved it to a spot with less sun, (south garden under a buddleia bush, watered and waited. WOW! Still doing poorly.
I gave it a nice sandy loam, well drained area with about 5 hours of sun. Today, I thought it had died, as it was wilted to the ground. I watered again and it has perked up. I will say it is making new leaves since transplant. I hope it winters over. I just may move it again to ensure it doesn't get lost in the jungle!

On Jul 6, 2012, KateLTwo from Chelmsford, MA wrote:

I just bought this plant today. The woman said NOT to divide it now, to make it two plants (I got two one gallon sized pots) or four plants. That "it's one plant, so can't be divided." ? I asked if it spread, and she said yes, that it is a slow to spread. I asked if it self-seeded, and she didn't know. Since we are planting this tomorrow a.m., and planting in an area that has bulbs, we don't want to have to do that chore more than once (finding the bulbs, moving them aside, digging hole for plants, etc.)

Also, anyone who has "planted from seed", did you just throw them near the current plant in the fall, and hope for new plants in Spring? Or, did you have to collect seeds, plant in medium in spring, move to outdoors, etc. etc. etc.?
Thanks in advance,
Kat... read more

On Dec 2, 2011, soilsandup from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Bought two of these plants two years ago, and it overwinters very well in my yard. Had some blooms the first year, but it really exploded in blossoms the second year. Makes a nice bold splash of color over a long period of time.

On Oct 23, 2011, Biker1 from McLean, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had real problems growing these in McLean, VA. I have them in a raised bed. They bloom the first year, then don't winter over. I really like them, so I think that I'll try them in a different area.

On May 29, 2010, lalark from Springdale, AR wrote:

We don't have the Blazing Sunset variety, but the one we do have is not listed in this forum. We bought the "Bloody Mary" variety from a local nursery here in northwest Arkansas and those plants have flourished wonderfully in among our Brookside geraniums. They have bloomed in morning sun at the end of May into early July. Some other geums of the same kind we purchased from an online nursery did not come up the next spring, so we advise being careful where you buy.

On Nov 19, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

These plants did not return for me.

On Jun 8, 2009, natalie4b from Roswell, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

It does very well in a shady moist location among hostas in my garden. I am in zone 8.

On Jun 25, 2007, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I planted these plants from seeds last year. They survived our winter in zone 4B and started to blooms this year in mid June.
The flowers are a bright red and held high above the foliage. A very worthwhile plant that I plan to use elsewhere in other combinations.

On Jul 26, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

Geum 'Blazing Sunset' is an excellent, long-blooming variety with double flowers that look like small, scarlet-red roses.

On Mar 1, 2004, Gillianbc wrote:

I got a free packet of Blazing Sunset with a magazine and grew about 20 plants. They all flowered the following year and are one of the most worthy plants in the garden. They grow in the poorest of soils in sun or partial shade (I haven't tried full shade). They're similar to Mrs Bradshaw but the flowers are more double. They've withstood temperatures down to -7C and flower from May to late October if you deadhead them. You can squeeze them in a 6inch gap and the flowers will scrawl through other plants. Look great next to variegated grasses such as (the very invasive) phalaris (gardener's garters).