PlantFiles: False Sunflower
Heliopsis 'Bressingham Doubloon'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Heliopsis (hee-lee-OP-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Bressingham Doubloon
Additional cultivar information: (PP11270)
Hybridized by Bloom; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1997

Flowers are good for cutting

Patented

By perenniallyme
Thumbnail #1 of Heliopsis  by perenniallyme

By Massgirl
Thumbnail #2 of Heliopsis  by Massgirl

Positive Vivian_2010 On Jul 22, 2010, Vivian_2010 from Libertyville, IL wrote:

I bought a small plant last year from a local nursery. Soon after planting in early July, it started blooming profoundly. Too bad that rabbits love it so destroyed most of the branches and flowers. So by early August, we put a fence around the garden. In early May this year, I give it a little slow release Miracle grow (10-10-10), and boy, it grows to be 3-4' tall and full of stunning, big and SHOWY yellow flowers!. It has been in full bloom for over a month now, and there are still many new buds. It is in a full sun location. I plan to divide it next spring as a couple of my neighbors like these flowers too. I fully expect that it will continue with the good blooming into mid-late September. It did that last fall even with only a couple branches left from the rabbit attack. Good thing that I left enough space for the plant last year.

Neutral Massgirl On Jun 24, 2010, Massgirl from Franklin, MA wrote:

I bought this last year at a Home Depot because I loved the blooms. This year, so far, I'm not impressed. I've got only two stems and they droop like crazy in the sun (and they are only getting a half day in direct sunlight! I can't imagine what they would look like in full sun all day!) The blooms are beautiful - but with two stems last year when I bought them, and only two again this year, I'm disappointed. I think I'll give it another year and see what happens before giving up on this one. I did see the other reviewer say they had filled in a 3x3 section - but mine aren't even close - and it'll be years at the rate they're growing to fill up that kind of space!

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 19, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Tall 4-5' - Plant 18" apart. zone 3-9. Semi-double flowers on strong sturdy stems that do not require staking. A late summer bloomer.

Positive RDT On Dec 14, 2004, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I had 2 small roots that were given in trade. By the end of summer they filled a 3x3 foot space with beautiful yellow blooms. I plan to place some in a container.

Libertyville, Illinois