PlantFiles: Sausage Vine
Holboellia coriacea

Family: Lardizabalaceae
Genus: Holboellia (hol-BEL-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: coriacea (kor-ee-uh-KEE-uh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

By simple layering
By air layering
By tip layering
By serpentine layering

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By GardenGuyKin
Thumbnail #1 of Holboellia coriacea by GardenGuyKin

By wobblergolf
Thumbnail #2 of Holboellia coriacea by wobblergolf

Positive wobblergolf On Dec 7, 2009, wobblergolf from Qualicum Beach

I have this vine growing in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island. It is only 4 years old and is 18 feet high. It likes shade and lots of water. The seed pods are purple sausage-like and contain hundreds of seeds. When the "fruit" drops in fall, open the pods, strip out the seeds, wash them free of pulp, dry them and store in jar or envelope. I am growing from seed for the first time this year and if sucessful I will update. My local nursery has taken some of my seeds and they are trying as well.
Easy to grow and as hardy as they come.
UPDATE October 2010
The seeds took 8 weeks (be patient) to germinate in 4" pots but then they took off. The seedlings have spent all summer in 6" pots and are going into the garden soon. Thay look very healty, green and shiny. Fingers crossed for further growth

Positive cphcharlotte On Jul 30, 2008, cphcharlotte from Redmond, WA wrote:

acquired this plantwhen I was doing a "boutique nursery" for a local hardware store--sought out all sorts of uncommon plants as well as "tried&true. Took a long time to find much out about it with the referances I had. BUT it still survives in dry shade at the foot of a Western red cedar. Redmond is probably zone 7. It is somewhat sheltered in its place. It is growing SLOWLY. It is growing on a bright northfacing fence and gets almost no supplemental water. Every so often I take a gallon jug of water with a pinhole in it to drip on it. Based on its fruit I have always considered it akin to the akebia. I note in some referances it is called "China Blue" vine. I had always seen ampelopsis refered to as that common name---based on that kid's blue berries and variegated foliage.
I planted the vine in native soil and have not yet fertilized it. After maybe 8 years (or more) it is twining above the
4 foot fence with a couple of tendrils aiming toward the light. My conclusion is that it is a REALLY TOUGH CHARACTER! Obviously mine has not yet fruited.
cphCharlotte

Lafayette, California
Clifton, Colorado
New York, New York
Cheshire, Oregon
Salem, Oregon (2 reports)
Ames Lake, Washington