PlantFiles: Western sunflower
Helianthus anomalus

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helianthus (hee-lee-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: anomalus (ah-NOM-uh-lus) (Info)

Chartreuse/Yellow
Leathery-Textured

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By jessmerritt
Thumbnail #1 of Helianthus anomalus by jessmerritt

By stephanotis
Thumbnail #2 of Helianthus anomalus by stephanotis

No positives

Neutral stephanotis On Jun 2, 2008, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

These are prolific weeds where I live in Arizona. Anywhere there is a little bit of water and recently tilled ground these spring up, getting to over 6' tall. They tend to group near fields that get irrigation, or vacant lots after rain. They are also ant magnets, and everytime I have gotten close to one of these I see thousands of ants running up and down the prickly stems. Also the stems get extremely woody and tough when mature, and if you want to cut one down you either run over it with a tractor, or chop it with an ax. Cute flowers, but I'm not sure I would plant this on purpose in my garden. I'm guessing the seeds are spread by birds and wind, and they self sow more than freely.

Neutral ladyannne On Aug 30, 2007, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

These sprung up in my herb garden. While lovely, they do take over. Terribly prolific, and easily over six feet tall. Removing them so the herbs get sun might be a task in the coming years.

Queen Creek, Arizona