PlantFiles: Arizona sunflower
Helianthus arizonensis

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helianthus (hee-lee-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: arizonensis (air-ih-zoh-NEN-sis) (Info)

Scarlet (Dark Red)
Orange
Red-Orange
Brown/Bronze

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Positive joyteam22 On May 26, 2007, joyteam22 from Tulsa, OK wrote:

This is a beautiful plant! I bought it as a potted perinnial last in spring 2006 - It grows to around 12 inches high and 12 - 18 inches wide - nicely rounded...no pests that I have seen. This year it was in full bloom by the last of April here in Tulsa, Ok. Zone 7. It's the last of May and it's still blooming...even after the flowers start to lose their petals, the seedheads are very pretty. I have been deadheading so that it will do another repeat bloom this summer.

Positive bodyflight On Sep 15, 2005, bodyflight from Del Rio, TN wrote:

I ordered seeds and sowed them indoors in starter trays.. moved them outside in pots to a mostly sunny spot but they didn't do too well.. I put them in a full sun spot along our driveway and within two weeks each plant was half full of blooms.. they are very strong and create little balls of color against a nice thick green background (see photos). They are my favorite plant this year and they do not require much care. I am currently watering them well only a couple times per week. Easy to grow for beginners :)

Cherry Valley, Illinois